Blog: 12 LANGUAGES LATER, MY BEST TIPS FOR LEARNING A FOREIGN LANGUAGE

Posts0Likes0Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

Read this blog post earlier and thought some might enjoy her tips. :)

When the initial excitement of learning a new language begins to fade, it can be hard to stick with it. 

You’ll learn way more if you spend 30 minutes studying everyday rather than say, 8 hours once a week.

My quick takeaway on this is to find an end goal (instead of just "randomly picking languages") and try to really be consistent! 

What about you guys?

(edit - please remember to link to the article you are quoting)

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/12/2018Location
Native
German
Learning Afrikaans, Arabic - Standard, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, French, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Toki Pona
Other Polish, Russian, Sinhala, Tagalog

Rose.Angelie wrote:
My quick takeaway on this is to find an end goal (instead of just "randomly picking languages") and try to really be consistent!
What about you guys?

As for me, I do intend to persevere just as I (#NotPraisingMyselfButSimplyBeingGrateful) was able to do so in the past, too.

But as for the specific languages I am currently learning, I haven't got the slightest ish' to press the "pause" or even "stop" button sometimes. This means that I would continue some, and decide not to continue some others for now. Couldn't do it otherwise anyway, because the number of those learned/micro-learned in rotation is ... above five, and above ten, too...

SGP = _____ _____ ____ (currently remixing my nickname)

My Youtube channel (EN, DE, ...)

Alpha Centauri Style Music (on Soundcloud)

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

Her tips are fairly decent, and not super cringeworthy like some other blogs that claim that it has the magic key. 

I agree with @Rose.Angelie - one of my biggest takeaways from her is the importance of setting goals. Once you're outside a structured system, it's quite easy to float. My other takeaway is, it's tempting to focus on your strengths, but you also need to work on your weaknesses. 

Posted 
    Feedback