Resources for Learning Swahili

Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

My level in Swahili used to be about B1 (lower intermediate) 17 years ago, but I've forgotten almost all of it so I'm putting together a list of resources that I plan on using to bring it up to speed before returning to Tanzania. If you have any suggestions, please post them below. If I like them I might add them to my list.

Base program:

Pimsleur Swahili

Audio supplement:

Swahilipod101

Dictionary:

Online Swahili Dictionary

Text Books/Grammars:

Teach Yourself Swahili

Simplified Swahili

Swahili: A Foundation for Speaking, Reading, and Writing

Reading & Listening

Learning by Ear

Storybooks Canada Kiswahili

Habari za UN

LanguageMedia CultureTalk Tanzania

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined18/6/2019LocationSan Jose Del Monte / PH
Native
English
Learning Afrikaans, Cebuano, Chinese - Mandarin, Danish, Indonesian, Malay, Norwegian, Spanish, Tagalog

Glossika has Swahili but they're service is now a monthly subscription. Their courses tend to be okay, and when I bought my first Glossika course back in 2016 they were a reasonable 70 usd for the whole package. I'm not sure if their older resources can't be found. You can find a few of them still up for sale on Amazon, but none for Swahili. 

Also check the usual fare of yojik.eu/livelingua for the FSI/DLI/Peacecorps things, and bible.is if you're hard up for listening material. I wish you kept a log Leo to see what you do daily would be probably inspiring for the newbies here.

Find me on Discord:

https://discord.gg/R4zepcA

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Thanks for your suggestions! Glossika doesn't fit my learning style very well. I'd consider using it in the style of the old "Learn in your car", audio only, if I was commuting regularly but that's not going to happen. I've checked out the FSI and it might be ok as a reference but it's very dated. I'm not religious, so no bible for me. Honestly, I think the language is going to come right back. One thing that I'm really lacking is a good source of text with audio, like a news station that does transcripts or something. 

I'll consider doing a log, but only if I feel it's an interesting read. Sometimes it's hard to get motivated to write about daily routines and such.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Edited 
    Feedback