Phrasal verbs

Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

Once I've read the particle "up" in phrasal verbs has a meaning: "completely". I was wondering if it happens with other particles (for, out, in, etc), or is it merely a question of memorizing meaning, other than trying to infer it? Phrasal verbs are a Portuguese speaker's nightmare!

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Can you cite examples?

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Native
Portuguese

leosmith wrote:
Can you cite examples?
"Find out", for example. Does this "out" have any meaning that would help me infer the verb meaning? Something that would help me with "look out", "turn out", "check out", "cut out", "make out", etc.

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Tbh, I don't know. I'm tempted to say you just need to memorize each one, but that may just be my native-speaker grammar ignorance shining through. 

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Native
Portuguese

leosmith wrote:
Tbh, I don't know. I'm tempted to say you just need to memorize each one, but that may just be my native-speaker grammar ignorance shining through.
Actually that's exactly how I've learned them - memorizing -, but I'm always suspicious (maybe too much!) that there's more to it. I was easy with the idea of memorizing until I read about "up" meaning "completely"... 

Is there any difference between "chop" and "chop up"?

Posted 
    Feedback