Using the Reading Tool

Posts78Likes27Joined22/3/2019LocationUS
Native
English
Learning German

Are there reading passages I can work on, or do I need to add my own?

Both! We have a searchable library of publicly available passages. You can also upload your own passages. If you have the rights to share your passage, you can add it to the library for others to access. 

Language Crush Support Team

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Can I upload an audio file?

Yes, and that is a great way to combine reading with listening.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Can I import subtitles from YouTube videos?

Yes! If you want to import subtitles, make sure your video has closed captions in your desired language (look for the Closed caption icon in the YouTube frame). Some auto-generated and auto-translated subtitles will not import. If the subtitles don't import, the video will still be embedded.

Edited 
Native
English
Learning German

How does color coding vocabulary work?

The Reading Tool includes a mouse-over dictionary that allows you to highlight words and show their definition. As you read, select words to toggle from unknown to learning to known, or add/edit definitions. The words will be color-coded and this information will be saved for future lessons. 

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Can I add translations to a passage in different languages?

Yes. We have added the ability to add "full translations" when you create or edit a passage in any language you want. You can add as many as you want. The way to access them is when you read the passage you will see the "full text translation" button on the RH side. You can choose the available translations in the dropdown, and the entire RH side will display the translation. Selecting a word on the LH side will toggle it back to normal mode. To go back to full translation mode, just hit the button again.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Is there any way to turn all the Chinese characters in a passage directly into jyutping (pinyin/kana) and display it?

No there isn't, but as a work-around you could add your own "translation" to a passage, which could contain full jyutping. To do this with someone else’s passage, first copy it (edit>copy), copy and paste the passage text into a Chinese Character to jyutping converter and convert it, select “full translation” in the passage, select language (doesn’t matter what you choose) paste your jyutping in, save and open, select full translation on the rh side. This will give you the full text visible in Jutping which may solve your problem, but it’s just text – you won’t be able to click on jyutping words to get definitions and such.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Where do reading tool translations come from?

The original translation comes from Google Translate, but there are many user definitions in the system too. You may add your own definitions. The most popular definition comes to the top of the list, unless you have toggled one to "used". There are also external dictionaries conveniently linked to the reading tool, so you can choose a definition from them if you prefer. If you would like us to add an external dictionary, please post it here.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Copywrite - when is it ok to share, or make a passage public?

It is always ok to make private passages. To share passages in public, you cannot violate copywrite. If they state specifically that it is ok to repost, or if it is in public domain, then you can share it here. If not, you can ask them for permission and wait for approval to share it. Otherwise, you must keep it private.

Edited 
    Feedback