Let’s Rename Language Tools!

Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Hello Everyone,

I hope you are doing well. 

Rebranding

We’d like your help in renaming Language Tools. We are rebranding to improve our SEO. Several people have pointed out that we are somewhat difficult to find with search engines, and that we show up well down the list. 

We have a short list of names for you to vote on. But first I want to give you the opportunity to add to the list. You may post names here, or pm them to us. Here are the guidelines:

• Somehow related to language learning

• Available with a .com extension

• Available for cheap (not “parked” or “for offer”)

• Unique enough to rise to the top in a search

• Catchy enough to be easy to remember

I will give you all 1 week to submit names, then I will reveal the final short list and let you vote on them in a poll. You can post names in this thread, or pm them to us.

Mobile App Vastly Improved

After a lot of great suggestions from the community, and hard word from our development team, the reading tool is working really well in the Mobile App now. Here are some of the changes we made:

• increased reading area by shrinking header

• made phrases easier to create

• allowed word color change on reading screen

• fixed problem with keyboard popping up

• fixed problem with footer

If you haven’t done so, give it a try

Free Plan Expanded

It was brought to our attention that our free plan for the reading tool wasn’t as generous in some areas as our competitors. Well it is now. Amongst many other things, a free user can now get unlimited basic word look-ups. There are still restrictions on enhanced word look-ups; here is a complete comparison of Free vs Premium features. Please invite your friends to try us for free.

Cheers,

Leo

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined26/7/2020LocationJP
Native
English
Learning Chinese - Mandarin, French, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Spanish, Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese - other

You could rebrand it as Kobana.  

小話 kobanashi means ‘short interesting story’ in Japanese.  

Kobana can also be written as 小花 which means small flower, so you could add a small flower to the logo.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Barumid wrote:
You could rebrand it as Kobana.
小話 kobanashi means ‘short interesting story’ in Japanese.
Kobana can also be written as 小花 which means small flower, so you could add a small flower to the logo.

Thanks for your suggestion, but kobana.com is taken.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/8/2019LocationPH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

How about Learning Languages or Learn Languages? When people want to learn a certain language, people tend to search the word "learn" and then the language they want to learn. But then again, this is just based on my opinion. 

Your supermom,

Apple

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

AppleMae.Soriano wrote:
How about Learning Languages or Learn Languages?

Thanks for your suggestion! Learnlanguages.com is taken. But the problem with using "generic" terms like that is the traffic can get easily hijacked (intentionally or not) by the many other language learning sites out there. Judging from a google search of "Learning Languages", we would be competing with duolingo and rosetta stone - a competition that we can't win. That is why we are looking for something unique.

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined18/6/2019LocationSan Jose Del Monte / PH
Native
English
Learning Afrikaans, Cebuano, Chinese - Mandarin, Danish, Indonesian, Malay, Norwegian, Spanish, Tagalog

Leolang or langleo.

Pros: Has founders name in it, segues into cool lion mascot.

cons: Maybe someone is sitting on the domains? Can't tell, not tech savvy. May be a bit generic?Unlike the above users catchy Japanese name, none of my foreign languages are tres chic :). 

Good luck. 

Find me on Discord:

https://discord.gg/R4zepcA

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Clayton.Henderson wrote:
Leolang or langleo.

Unfortunately they are both taken.

Posted 
Posts55Likes44Joined26/12/2019LocationBE
Native
French
Learning Chinese - Mandarin, Dutch, English, German, Japanese, Spanish

The name itself is not important. The best name is useless if unknown.

I don't remember how I came here the first time but I'm sure I didn't google for it.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined22/11/2019LocationBogota / CO
Native
Spanish
Learning English, French

Have you ever tried Backlinking the website and using some other SEO strategies? It's proven that quality Backlinks improves your organic search.

Sergio Uribe Guinard

Foreign Language Teacher

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Sergio.Uribe wrote:
Have you ever tried Backlinking the website and using some other SEO strategies? It's proven that quality Backlinks improves your organic search.

Thanks Sergio. I think they've considered it, but I forwarded this to the technical team to confirm.

Posted 
Posts18Likes12Joined16/10/2019LocationUS
Native
Danish, English
Learning Chinese - Mandarin, French, German, Macedonian, Norwegian, Spanish

Hey Leo, How is that exactly going to work, when the new site gets up and running? Will our users still be working when the site changes name, and what about our stats and private materials? :)

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Peter.Jensen wrote:
Hey Leo, How is that exactly going to work, when the new site gets up and running? Will our users still be working when the site changes name, and what about our stats and private materials? :)

Your IDs, stats and private materials will not be affected. The appearance of the site will be different and organization will change a bit, but that's about it.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

I'm terrible with naming, but my suggestion is to involve the idea of self-learning in the name.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Valeria.Fontes wrote:
I'm terrible with naming, but my suggestion is to involve the idea of self-learning in the name.
I'm closing this thread as the community has already chosen the name OPLingo. Sorry for not closing it earlier.

Posted 
    Feedback