fixed - Create passage size limitation / breaking apart of longer texts?

Posts0Likes0Joined10/9/2018Location
Native
English
Learning German

Hi!

I just jumped ship from that other site with a reading tool, which shall remain unnamed, and was looking forward to subscribing to an annual plan here. Before doing so, I tried importing a longer text (an ebook that I own), and saw that there is a 50kb limitation on imports. Does this size import apply to paid accounts? Does the system automatically break longer texts into individual lessons, or would I have to do that manually? I read a lot of books for language learning and having to manually break them apart into 50kb passages sounds like a nightmare to me, so the system as it is would not work. :(

Thanks for your assistance; I appreciate what you all are doing here and hope to eventually use the tool.

Cheers,

Josh

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Hi Josh,

We used to have no limit, but that lead to long loading times for certain large shared public-domain texts. So we finally decided to put a limit on it. I written a ticket to increase the limit to 100kb, and to discuss breaking large texts up into individual passages. I'll ask the technical team what they prefer, but my initial thoughts are to break them into 100kb pieces, and put the entire audio file in each passage. Would that work for you?

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Hi again,

Yep, that would be fine for me. As long as the system would automatically break longer texts into pieces and label them appropriately (Book Title - Part 1, Part 2, etc.), the size limitation isn't a huge issue. I just took a look at the text file for the book I tried to import and it's 685kb, so 100kb per "passage" would be perfectly fine. Or 50kb. Just as long as it's auto-split. :)

Thanks!

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Hi Josh,

We ended up sticking with the 50k. Does it work ok for you now?

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Hi again,

Wow, that showed up much faster than I expected! :) I just tried it out and it works just fine. Thank you very much!

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

It's me yet again. :) So, I tested it and it did split everything up perfectly, but having sat down to do a bit of reading, I just noticed another issue. If I import a passage that fits within the size / character limitations, it maintains spacing and paragraphs and such just fine. However, when the auto split was done, it removed all line breaks, so you're just left with one massive block of text. Not a deal breaker, but it does make reading a book a little harder. 

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

ok - we'll look into it

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Praeshock wrote:
when the auto split was done, it removed all line breaks, so you're just left with one massive block of text.

Hi Josh. We think we fixed this - can you please verify?

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Hey again,

Tested and yep, confirmed; works like a charm now.

Thank you!

Posted 
    Feedback