Is Education Level important to your country?

Posts0Likes0Joined26/9/2019LocationKR
Native
Korean

Hello Everyone!

As I am currently pursuing PhD. Degree in the University, I am suddenly doubting myself whether it will really help me in the future or it would have been better if I get a job instead.

In Your Country,

Is Education Level important? Would that be a lot different between Bachelor degree and PhD degree?

*Any opinions I would appreciate :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined17/9/2019LocationMexico City / MX
Native
Spanish
Learning English, German

To be honest I have no idea of how a PhD compares to a Bachelor. I can still try, could you be more specific? In what area would you like them to be compared?

Also, in terms of experience, I do know a few individuals that go for it without a degree and still make a decent income because they commit very strongly to a path. That said, If you like studying as I do, go for it! It's about the journey, not the destination. 

Language shapes our view of the world.

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

In the US, it depends on the field. In engineering, very few jobs require more than a Bachelor. In business, an MBA is normally required.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts55Likes44Joined26/12/2019LocationBE
Native
French
Learning Chinese - Mandarin, Dutch, English, German, Japanese, Spanish

I think PhD is only needed to be a physician or to work in an university.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined26/9/2019LocationKR
Native
Korean

Thank you for all your sharing :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined23/3/2021LocationRanchi / IN
Native
Hindi
Learning Finnish, French, German, Hebrew

That question is very specific to what your goals are. If you just want to land a job, a bachelors would normally do. See the basic requirements, bachelors would suffice, masters and doctorate and cherry on the top but that'll do normally. If you want degrees just for sake of knowledge then that's a great field to explore. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined25/3/2021LocationSouth Cotabato / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning Cebuano, English, German, Japanese, Korean

Here in my country Education level is important. Bachelor degrees is important in our country because it is possible that you can easily get a job. Because you have degrees

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Maryjoy.kuta wrote:
Bachelor degrees is important in our country because it is possible that you can easily get a job.

Is it worth getting a Master once you have a Bachelor? 

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined23/3/2021LocationDavao / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish

In my country, education is really important. Like we always believe that education is the most important thing you can pass on to your children. That is why a lot of poor parents are doing their best to send their children to school even if that means having a full-time job during the day and having some side hustles at night. 

In some rural areas, families who have a lot of children are doing their best to make sure that most, if not all, of their kids must graduate AT LEAST from high school. Enrolling in college is quite expensive that some families would want the elder siblings to work so they can help fund the education of the younger siblings. 

So, as long as you have the opportunity to study and that is what you are passionate about, go for it. I always remind myself of a quote that I have read somewhere saying " Every opportunity has a timeline. If you delay, the opportunity is gone forever." 

I can say that without a degree, it will be harder for me to get a better-paying job unless I am skilled enough. Also, I think that in some situations, even if you got the skill but you haven't earned a degree, it will be harder to get a promotion here in my country. 

***btw, I am turning 25 this year and yet I just finished a year in college because I have been working to help my family ( worst, the pandemic came so I stopped studying for now even if online classes are available).

- By small and simple things are great things brought to pass! 

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

Maryjoy.kuta wrote:
Here in my country Education level is important. Bachelor degrees are important in our country because it is possible that you can easily get a job. Because you have degrees

I agree. If you don't have a degree, at least be skilled enough. If not, find someone who can back you up during the recruitment process. lol. The sad truth for some applicants. And yeah, even if you have a degree, some companies have their biases depending on which university the applicant has graduated from. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined25/3/2021LocationSouth Cotabato / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning Cebuano, English, German, Japanese, Korean

July your correct. My country is looking for high standard . hehehhe.

Thats why now I need to finish my study to get a courses and can find a nice job.

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

Maryjoy.kuta wrote:
July your correct. My country is looking for high standard . hehehhe.
Thats why now I need to finish my study to get a courses and can find a nice job.

You are not alone. :P

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

In my experience, people seem to be overeducated In the UK there are very few jobs for qualified professionals and most often it is low-level jobs that are advertising. Many people apply for the same position as many as 1000 applications were received by me for a job washing dishes in a tiny care home... we only looked at 10 applications selected at random 

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

Jade.Xuereb wrote:
In my experience, people seem to be overeducated In the UK there are very few jobs for qualified professionals and most often it is low-level jobs that are advertising. Many people apply for the same position as many as 1000 applications were received by me for a job washing dishes in a tiny care home... we only looked at 10 applications selected at random

I see. Maybe this is also one of the factors why some of my professional countrymen went abroad to find better opportunities. But they worked as a waiter or a fast-food crew instead.

Posted 
Posts1Likes0Joined21/6/2023LocationIN
Native
English
Learning Hindi

Well, I live in India and here: education matters but not much. 

People with PhD are applying for a Peon Post. What to say next...

Posted 
Posts2Likes0Joined7/5/2023LocationIN
Native
English
Learning Japanese

july.lullalove wrote:
I agree. If you don't have a degree, at least be skilled enough. If not, find someone who can back you up during the recruitment process. lol. The sad truth for some applicants. And yeah, even if you have a degree, some companies have their biases depending on which university the applicant has graduated from.

Well said. 

In my country, there are not enough jobs. People with bachelor & masters degree have to apply to very low-salary jobs. While someone with no experience, degree & knowledge is given a higher post just because of their relation. 

My friend went to an interview. There, he was rejected just because he wasn't from the same state as of the recruiter and the recruiter accepted someone from his district. I mean, the hell. 

Posted 
    Feedback