What makes us efficient in a language?

Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018Locationlahore / PK

So learning foreign languages is an interesting experience. Most of us spend extensive amount of time in school life to learn English and other languages, but what makes you proficient in the language acquisition? Are they written or spoken skills which affect our learning of a new language? 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

I think efficiency is based on being able to speak and write a language fluently.

Posted 
Posts1638Likes1093Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I don't understand the OP. Are you asking how we define efficiency, or how we become efficient?

In the Philippines now.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

leosmith wrote:

I don't understand the OP. Are you asking how we define efficiency, or how we become efficient?

I think he’s asking how we define efficiency.

Posted 

i meant to say what thing sharpens our foreign language skills. Is it writing or speaking which enhance our expertise on a specific language.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other Arabic - Gulf, English, French, Spanish, Serbian

It's time and dedication. And whatever approach attracts you personally the most, is the one you should get proficient in, overflow with knowledge, and how you will also start enjoying the other practices/approaches too (referring to if it is writing or speaking, or this or that...). Essentially, I believe people that love writing also love speaking, it only depends on the topics of discussions. On the other side, people that love reading, might not be so comfortable with speaking (since writing exerts high level of familiarity with the language). So I believe those people that prefer reading want to acquire high level of knowledge and understanding of the language, but are not big fans of speaking. 

But efficiency I believe stems out of how you approach life itself, and what's your meaning of life itself. To become efficient in learning a language, you must know how to not tire yourself too much, not go overboard trying to achieve something that's not even part of your own personal objectives, try to bring enjoyment, but also focus in your work, know when and where to stop, start whenever you feel ready or inspired to, focus on whatever aspect of the language you feel like focusing that moment and expand on that. 

While I believe becoming an expert in a specific language depends on dedication and nothing more. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018Location

What makes us efficient is understanding where and when certain words should be used. 

Posted 
Posts1638Likes1093Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Mai wrote:
whatever approach attracts you personally the most, is the one you should get proficient in

I agree. Find an approach that works for you, and stick to it.

But back to the OP - I think there are an infinite number of answers. Everything we do to learn a language sharpens our foreign language skills. Perhaps a better question would be "What techniques do you personally find are the most helpful in acquiring a foreign language?"

In the Philippines now.

Posted 

I personally feel that reading their native literature and communication with natives can boost your learning.

Posted 
    Feedback