How committed are you with another culture while you study their language?

Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Do you think that learning about the culture of a country is necessary while you are learning a new language? I know that many of you fell in love with the sound of a language or a country itself. However, there are some languages that we learn because we have to (work or school), did you learn to love this language as well?

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

First, I'd like to know what you think.

Personally, language is part of culture so it's basically studying (part of the) culture. I don't explicitly study the whole culture, but inevitably I learn a ton about it by the time I reach B2. I've never studied languages because I like the way they sound, and I've never studied one for work, but I've studied plenty because the country interests me.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined22/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

It's so funny to me that I've never seen learning a language as learning a part of a culture. 

This is because, firstly, I don't understand my parent's local dialects. Secondly, I learnt English as a means of communicating in school and life in general ( not because I like the English culture). And lastly, I was introduced to French language in primary school up till high school, so I had to pass the subject.

In summary, I only saw learning languages as a means to excel in school. However, I want to learn French now because I want to be bilingual for work and business opportunities. 

If I was to choose being an animal, I will like to be an Eagle.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018Locationmaryland / US
Native
Urdu
Learning Arabic - Gulf

I dont believe that knowing culture is important. It does help but it's not necessary. But I believe knowing a language is little easier when you converse with someone 

Mariam Irshad

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Yes, I totally agree with Leo. Learning the culture or some aspects of it will help you to understand certain concepts in a better way. At least is what I have experienced living abroad and communicating on a daily basis in another language.

-Ari-

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Another thing is that I see languages as an opportunity to communicate with other people, not as a task from school or work. It is such a valuable asset.  

I believe that anything you learn in life will always add, it can be a different language or a folk story from another country, it will enrich your knowledge and that is precious to me.

-Ari-

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018LocationLisbon / PT
Native
Portuguese
Other English, Spanish

I think it is key that you embrace the culture that language is used in. You will learn it faster and understand better.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

I refered to work or school opportunities as I have friends whom per work or their studies were forced to learn a new language. To me, languages are a window to other cultures and of course, language is part of the culture itself.

Culture covers a very wide area of human life and behaviour, and language is just the expression of it. I believe that if I want to learn a language and being able to speak it properly I have to understand the culture it was "born" in, I'm not talking about learn everything involved, but care about what it is considered to be good or wrong, traditions, etc. Because of globalization we can have an idea of the culture of other countries, an advantage we couldn't have had decades ago. I think that the country we were raised in will always have a huge influence in the way we think and sometimes this can be a handicap when we are speaking with natives of our target languages.

Posted 
Posts114Likes81Joined8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

Context plays a part in learning a language at least in my experience. Learning a language is like a glimpse to a country's culture.. so it can definitely help if you have at least some interest in the culture, not a requirement but it helps. 

I am actually contemplating to study Portuguese because I am such a Jiujitsu nerd lol. Hit me up if you can help me with that. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined7/10/2018LocationLaguna / PH
Native
English, Tagalog
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Spanish

Studying a foreign language, for me, means to immerse in to their culture. You have to have a certain level of respect for their culture to be learning their language.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Very. Some of the nuances and expressions only make sense if you're familiar with the culture. Honorifics is a great example of this.

--

ikay

Posted 
    Feedback