Spanglish

Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

In Spanish (depends on the region) we tend to use words from English due to its exposure, we use them that much that for example, it's strange when someone refers to "happy hour" as "hora feliz". We also use some French words, but it's different, those words have an academic background.

I was looking if Spanglish was a real thing and ended up finding this link:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_4157226

And it kind of creeps my out, I honestly don't think that Spanglish will be a real thing, an official thing... It's just a convenient thing. I know that many languages share words, but sometimes we tend to merge our languages when we are near people that can understand us. 

Do you merge the languages you know?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018Location
Native
Tagalog
Other English, German, Spanish

If there's Spanglish, there's Taglish (tagalog + english)  

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

This is correct, I tend to merge French and Spanish atimes. It actually sometimes confuses me, does this happen to anyone?

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

TemitopeAkinyede wrote:

This is correct, I tend to merge French and Spanish atimes. It actually sometimes confuses me, does this happen to anyone?

It depends, if you are with someone who understands you, it's awesome :D... If not, it is quite frustrating... I tend to forget some words, so sometimes I have to reformulate my sentences instead of telling them in another language @.@

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

Jess.PWinkler wrote:

TemitopeAkinyede wrote:

It depends, if you are with someone who understands you, it's awesome :D... If not, it is quite frustrating... I tend to forget some words, so sometimes I have to reformulate my sentences instead of telling them in another language @.@

I reformulate my words and sentences a lot too lol even in English. Good to know people do that too :blush:

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other Arabic - Gulf, English, French, Spanish, Serbian

Hey Jess! I switch to languages all the time, but it's not that I merge English and Macedonian, (topic was spanglish you say? :)) ) or am familiar with some expressions like that here. I am sure there must be some, as majority of Macedonians speak and use English frequently, but, wasn't able to find any examples online or in my brain. Interesting topic 

Spanish and French I confuse aaalll the time. Especially when my level of Spanish is so basic, I often pop in a French "equivalent" here and there :)) so, yes it does happen to me a lot @Temitope and it bothers me a lot, urgh :smile:

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

It also happens to me once in a while, especially when I'm talking to my kids and my patience already run out. My sentence is like... "Dyos Mio! Ate don't tulak your baby sister! "...It's a combination of Spanish-Tagalog adopted words, English, and Tagalog. Sometimes it's a combo of that 3 plus our own Bicol dialect. Haha

Edzky-18

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationJonestown / US
Native
English
Learning Italian, Spanish

I honestly never knew what Spanglish was until I read this. Merging languages seems kind of silly. However, wouldn't that just create a world of new languages? I hope for my own sanity it does not become official. All of these made up slang words, and now this.....

Taylor Fabio

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Aileen.Cortes wrote:
If there's Spanglish, there's Taglish (tagalog + english) :grin:

may spanglish pala. lol

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

TaylorFabio wrote:
I honestly never knew what Spanglish was until I read this. Merging languages seems kind of silly. However, wouldn't that just create a world of new languages? I hope for my own sanity it does not become official. All of these made up slang words, and now this.....

I think that once you get fluent in a second language you'll start merging them without knowing you're doing it. I've read stuff written in Spanish like I were reading in English and that's not intentional at all, if you are exposed daily to your languages it's common to merge them in a way or another. Sometimes when I'm speaking to my boyfriend or my family (in Spanish) I come up with English words (if they come faster than the Spanish words) because I know they'll understand me, sometimes my mom speaks in English to me and I respond in Spanish and that's not intentional either @.@

Posted 
    Feedback