Let's talk about diet

Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018Location
Native
Tagalog
Other English, German, Spanish

Who's on ketogenic diet here? or paleo? How's it working for you? 

I've lost 12 kgs on 4 months strict keto then I switched paleo so I can eat fruits and other veggies that is not allowed on keto. 

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I used to be on paleo to fix my gut problems. It worked, but mainly because my previous diet was so bad. Then I switched to keto because I thought I was diabetic. It didn't help at all with my blood sugar level, but I discovered I'm not diabetic; I just have naturally high blood sugar and it isn't dangerous in my specific case. Be careful with paleo/keto - despite what some say, it normally raises cholesterol, sometimes quite drastically. Mine went up to over 500 (total).

So I went on a diet very similar to what Fuhrman recommends - mostly plant based, a little meat and grains but not much, no junk, etc. My cholesterol plummeted to below 200, my sugar stayed the same, and my gut was still good. I added in most of the principles used in the MIND diet to make sure my brain is as healthy as possible. And finally, very recently, I added daily portions of kimchi and/or sauerkraut for their pro-biotic effects to make my gut even better. 

I sometimes "cheat", but my diet is so healthy now there is no impact. It took about 4 years of experimenting, but it feels great to have finally figured out a diet that's good for everything (in my case). 

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined9/7/2018LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French

I'm vegan and follow more of an Ayurvedic diet. My mom was on a Keto diet and it made her sick so she switched to the MIND diet.

Posted 
Posts114Likes81Joined8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

I'm lazy and can barely cook so it's hard for me to do things like keto. I just try to lessen my chips and candies lol. I prefer to use some form of fasting though and I think it's a good way to manage weight. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other Arabic - Gulf, English, French, Spanish, Serbian

I am vegan too and I just researched the MIND diet. I agree with some of it, except the inclusion of animal products and wine. I believe alcohol to be another farce, fabrication and propaganda. I am alcohol and sugar free for such a long time and I have never felt healthier, and my mind and intelligence are on fire! :))) If I want them to be :) I believe nuts and fruits to be the best choice for the mind and mental power, together with a whole food based diet. But I believe the best for the brain is to, instead of using this construction :))) :

"The MIND diet combines the DASH and Mediterranean diets to create a diet aimed at reducing the risk of dementia and the decline in brain health that people often experience as they age."

To say: 

".. aimed at boosting one's mental health and potential, maintaining and expanding it." 

Positive focus does way more wonders for the brain/mind than any food! :))) Sounds way more promising and many times people that suffer from mental illnesses, need just that. But an honest, pure positive focus. Exposure to the sun is also very important, and since all food comes out of the sun, it is our primary food. It affects our pineal gland and feeds us with positive emotions and state of mind, something even more relevant to the time when we're eating, than what we eat sometimes. (Our primary food is breathing btw, but ok :))) ) 

I also do intermittent fasting, and many times OMAD fasting, but I have been doing this even before finding out there were terms for that. Intuitive eating is healthy to/for me, and it usually makes me eat all meals within 6 hours, the rest of the day I just work, create, exercise, and similar. It's how I like it, I don't like spending too much time on eating, neither feeling too full or incapable of moving. I have been experimenting with my diet and body for such a long time, have been feeling really bad, that I found exercise and activity to be even more important than diet. But that's another thing. 

My brother's obese wife is on KETO diet and she says she had never felt better. But given she has been obese for her entire life, this is really a huge step for her. However, I believe all meat diets to be another propaganda and fabrication, aiming to make you more dependent. But yeah, I know vegan diet will never make me go to a doctor and I don't like to be dependent and fall under authority, (since authority nowadays is rather an unhealthy authority), so i try to avoid all processed food, or at least food that makes me feel bad. Observation of the body is key, 3 hours after a simple meal of one to two ingredients, will tell you how your body/mind reacts to THAT exact food and up to you to choose if you stick to it next time, or let go of it. 

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

You know, every body is different. I believe that before we start a diet we should check our bodies first, some things may put our life in danger. My mom stopped eating meat a few years ago, this year she had a crisis with her liver and it turned out that she has an autoimmune liver disease that took years to develop. Her body was telling her to stop eating meat because it was doing her wrong, I agree with Mai with the "intuitive eating", your body will always tell you what he needs. But, we should always check ourselves first before starting a diet (Example: they took nuts out of her diet because at least 80 percent of a nut is fat)

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

I do intermittent fasting or kind off you are supposed to eat during a period of eight hours and fast for 16. I haven't lost any weight but it helps me to keep a healthy weight for my age and size. I do eat every thing I want in moderation and most of my meals are home cooked which I believe it helps too.

-Ari-

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

I recently got on the “no carbs” and OMAD diet. Really hasnt been easy seeing most of the food in this part of the world are mostly carbs but i really want to see results. Any advice? 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

TemitopeAkinyede wrote:

I recently got on the “no carbs” and OMAD diet. Really hasnt been easy seeing most of the food in this part of the world are mostly carbs but i really want to see results. Any advice?

My dear,when I found out last year that i was weighing 78kg I new I had to make a change in my lifestyle and knowing how much I love food,I decided to find a plan that works for me. I completely cut out fizzy drinks,ate smaller portions and worked out 5 times a week. I'm currently weighing 66kg and have managed to keep the weight off for a year now. And I drink lots of water too.

So my advice is,find what works out for you and that you can stick with in the long term. For a healthy lifestyle,consistency is key.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning French

Oghenekevwe wrote:

TemitopeAkinyede wrote:

My dear,when I found out last year that i was weighing 78kg I new I had to make a change in my lifestyle and knowing how much I love food,I decided to find a plan that works for me. I completely cut out fizzy drinks,ate smaller portions and worked out 5 times a week. I'm currently weighing 66kg and have managed to keep the weight off for a year now. And I drink lots of water too.

So my advice is,find what works out for you and that you can stick with in the long term. For a healthy lifestyle,consistency is key.

Thanks dear. Did you work out in the gym or at home?

Posted 
Native
English
Other French

TemitopeAkinyede wrote:

Oghenekevwe wrote:

TemitopeAkinyede wrote:

At home. Got a lot of vidoes from YouTube. Check out popsugar fitness,fitness blender and superhero fitness.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning French

Oghenekevwe wrote:

TemitopeAkinyede wrote:

Oghenekevwe wrote:

TemitopeAkinyede wrote:

At home. Got a lot of vidoes from YouTube. Check out popsugar fitness,fitness blender and superhero fitness.

Thanks alot. Really helpful!!

Posted 
Native
English
Other French

You're welcome Temi,glad I could help.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined9/7/2018LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French

TemitopeAkinyede wrote:

i accidentally fell into the OMAD because of my busy schedule (I would forget to eat lol) but now if I try to eat 2-3 times I feel sick and lethargic. As for "no carbs" I'm lost sorry lol. I can say eating a low glycemic diet helps with energy. 

Posted 
    Feedback