Which are your favorite topics to start to learn vocabulary?

Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

I realized recently that with my current knowledge, I can’t engage in a small conversation (Hallo.......*crickets*.... Auf wiedersehen) because I haven’t learned basics to communicate (how are you? what's your name?), just daily stuff. When you are learning your target languages, which are your favorite topics to start to learn vocabulary? Conversation basics? Must-know travel phrases? Career vocabulary? Daily stuff vocabulary? I know that this is truly connected with our reasons and motivations to study a language, but, I’m curious.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationJonestown / US
Native
English
Learning Italian, Spanish

Alphabet, basic vocabulary and coversation basics are my favorite to start out with to build a foundation. 

Taylor Fabio

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

After learning the alphabet and pronunciation of all the phonemes, I do Pimsleur, which guarantees that I learn all the vocab they use first. Pimsleur vocab typically consists of samples from all the things you mentioned. 

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

I'm learning basic conversation starters. Hello,how are you,welcome,bye. It's important for me because I would at least know how to introduce myself and say hello. After learning that,I can then move on from there.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Conversation phrases for me. It makes me feel that I'm somehow confident to go somewhere else as a tourist if I already familiarized them.

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

leosmith wrote:
After learning the alphabet and pronunciation of all the phonemes, I do Pimsleur, which guarantees that I learn all the vocab they use first. Pimsleur vocab typically consists of samples from all the things you mentioned.

Have you got any free Pimsleur resources? The ones I that I Google all seem to be paid stuff.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
leosmith wrote:

Have you got any free Pimsleur resources? The ones I that I Google all seem to be paid stuff.

You can do a free trial lesson in any language. Other than that, lots of people get them from their public library. For people who can do it quickly, there is actually a much less expensive version of Pimsleur available - monthly subscription. I'm not sure what the exact deal is these days, but it seems to hover around $20/month, and you can finish 1 level (30 lessons) per month if you're ambitious. It used to be $300/level for the full price CD version.

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

I agree the pimsleur method is pretty good for getting a chunk of useful stuff down 

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

I started with conversation phrases, then building my vocabs and knowing individual words especially articles, verbs and conjunctions. Then I went for grammar. Later on I realize I need to go back first to spanish alphabet in order to aid me in pronunciation. I've touched on all that but I can't say that I know them very well. Haha! Still working out on them and hopefully I'll have more time learning the language. 

Edzky-18

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

leosmith wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:
leosmith wrote:

You can do a free trial lesson in any language. Other than that, lots of people get them from their public library. For people who can do it quickly, there is actually a much less expensive version of Pimsleur available - monthly subscription. I'm not sure what the exact deal is these days, but it seems to hover around $20/month, and you can finish 1 level (30 lessons) per month if you're ambitious. It used to be $300/level for the full price CD version.
Thanks. I'd really like to try it, but we don't have any public libraries that are up to snuff. T_T Will try the free trial and see how that works out. Maybe I'll ask the missus to find me some. She's a whiz at finding good stuff online.

Posted 
Native
English

Most language sites have vocabulary X phrases that are used for the pimsleur method. I think you should write what are important phrases for you to learn down and try to find them elsewhere

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
Maybe I'll ask the missus to find me some. She's a whiz at finding good stuff online.

I've bought some off of ebay in the past. Might be worth a look.

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

You're right. There are tons of French Pimsleur for under $50 (though the international shipping costs for some of them would kill me). Making a note of that and I shall keep looking.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
You're right. There are tons of French Pimsleur for under $50 (though the international shipping costs for some of them would kill me). Making a note of that and I shall keep looking.

Be sure to note the number of lessons. A complete level is 30 lessons.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationIrpin / UA
Native
Russian, Ukrainian
Other Dutch, English, German, Italian, Polish, Spanish

I guess most of the language books for beginners cover the conversational topics first. How are you? Where are you from? What do you like? Situations like how to buy bread or order a beer. 

To me, it makes sense. One should start with basic phrases for interaction with the natives. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/12/2018Location
Native
German
Learning Afrikaans, Arabic - Standard, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, French, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Toki Pona
Other Polish, Russian, Sinhala, Tagalog

Some time ago, I entirely switched to On Demand Learning. Because of that reason, I queued Spanish, even if it is my most advanced below-C2 one, 'longside Dutch (and maybe French, too) only. But I said to myself, "I wouldn't want to learn it just because, no matter how much progress had been possible in the past already".

And why does that On Demand Learning matter right now? Because that approach also includes not writing down any phrase, expect in a single case (i.e. a phrase of any langue I am actively learning right now). That single case is about either intending to use it very soon in a conversation with anyone (no matter if spoken or written). Or about a high probability of it being said to me (that part is more about spoken conversations, because I can take my time to look it up first in a written one).

SGP = _____ _____ ____ (currently remixing my nickname)

My Youtube channel (EN, DE, ...)

Alpha Centauri Style Music (on Soundcloud)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

I like to start with mostly basic stuff, alphabets, greetings... Hi, hello, howre you?..then animals,fruits..

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Other than the alphabet and stuff like that, the conversation starters. Altough I'd rather know as much as possible rather than just concentrating on conversation starters, but I think it's easier to learn conversation starters and plus if you can talk with someone in that language it definitelly improves the confidence 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

My favorite topics are about greetings, places, foods, travels, etc...  

Charlyn Amoin

Edited 
Native
English

I always start with basic conversation and then I like to learn large chunks of themed vocab like food so I can shop or cook a recipe or eat in a restaurant etc 

Posted 
    Feedback