Unclassified languages (and tribes) and their relation with the world

Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Unclassified languages are languages whose genetic affiliation has not been established, mostly due to lack of reliable data. Most of those unclassified languages have this status because they belong to isolated or lost tribes that are hard to get a hold on. I came up with this term when I was doing some reasearch about the "Sentinelese" tribe, I'm not sure if you heard or read about this news but there was a missionary that thought that it was a good idea to turn the Sentinelese to Christianity... I think that's insane (If you feel curious: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6446515/US-missionary-John-Chau-killed-remote-Sentinel-tribe-obsessed-years.html).

So, back to the topic, do you think that it's a good idea to leave an isolated tribe alone? Do you think its a good idea to try to impose them a culture so they can "fit" into the modern world? Do you think that in a far future it'd be possible for the people to get to know these people, their language and culture? If it wasn't for the Spanish realm, I'm not sure if I ever existed or which language I'd be speaking right now so I have crossed feelings about this topic, don't get me wrong I think that it would be awesome for the Sentinelese to keep their land and live a life of their own, I think that if they receive any influence from the outside world we'd be loosing another extrange but not endangered language.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationIrpin / UA
Native
Russian, Ukrainian
Other Dutch, English, German, Italian, Polish, Spanish

That's a very interesting topic to discuss! I'd rather leave such tribes alone, and preserve their uniqueness. It would be very difficult to include them into a globalised world without destroying their culture and language.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

I go for the dead Missionary. I read the whole news and all I can understand is that he just like to introduce God to them through Christianity. Though it's really risky for him to do that because most of the tribes like the Sentinel doesn't really want someone to influence or change their culture. But I salute the young man for his courage. May his soul rest in peace. 

Edzky-18

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/10/2018LocationLingayen, Pangasinan / PH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese, Korean
Other Arabic - Standard

I think it'd be better to leave the tribe and even other tribes alone. Change is good, but would the benefits outweigh the risks they'd be facing? Whether they choose to fit into the modern world or keep themselves isolated is completely up to them. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

I've recently read that article too. He was so brave by risking his life. But, how I wish he had another option to do it that could probably spare his life.

Charlyn Amoin

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

I say leave 'em alone. Respect their choice of isolation.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

It's not everything that has to be interfered with. They should be left alone, to preserve their uniqueness. Some things are just better left alone...It's so hard to find something that is untouched in this our world today.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

I think their decision to be left alone should be respected. Not everyone wants a "modern" life, and as much as many of us enjoy being connected to the world, it doesn't mean that others who have other lifestyles don't enjoy life in their own terms. 

In any case, if they do die out, eventually I guess someone can study their language in the historical perspective. After all, that's what some historians do with oracle bones and such. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

I'd say leave them alone. The tribe had made it clear that they don't want outsiders coming to their island. If we put it in simple terms, they're just like a family living their own lives who don't want to be bothered in their own homes.

meifeng wrote:
Not everyone wants a "modern" life

True! I sometimes daydream of a simple life away from the modern world.

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!

Posted 
    Feedback