Learn Korean in Filipino

Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

I hope other Filipinos learning Korean find this useful! :)

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/10/2018LocationLingayen, Pangasinan / PH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese, Korean
Other Arabic - Standard

Nice intro video ikay. :) So, that's what romanization is.

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Rai.S. wrote:
Nice intro video ikay. :) So, that's what romanization is.

To be honest, I think you can learn without having to romanize anything. Might help to know how it works though if you'll be encountering a lot of romanized Korean.

--

ikay

Posted 
Native
English, Tagalog
Other Arabic - Standard

There's something I'm curious about. ㄹ can be r or l in English. I'm really wondering when to use the r sound or the l sound within a word or a sentence.

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Rai.S. wrote:
There's something I'm curious about. ㄹ can be r or l in English. I'm really wondering when to use the r sound or the l sound within a word or a sentence.

There's a native Korean speaker on this site (Sanghwa) so she's probably the best person to answer this. I think it's not like the English "L" or "R" though.

I just tried saying "Hangul" now and my tongue placement for the "L" is different from if I say "fall" or "love". The English "L" is between the teeth. Whereas in "Hangul" my tongue is curled and touches what I think is called the alveolar ridge. 

As for American "R", I don't think they have that sound. I'm too lazy to pull up my Korean keyboard now but they write computer as "com-pyu-tah". I also had a student whose name was Carl and he wrote it as "ca-lul". "Service" is also "Se-bis".

The "R" in Ramyeon rolls like the Spanish/Filipino R.

--

ikay

Posted 
Native
English, Tagalog
Other Arabic - Standard

Hello ikay, thank you for taking your time to share this information and citing a number of examples as well. I somehow got your point. So, that's basically how it sound in that there's no really R sound in Korean as it is with the American R. I really appreciate it.

And if you have more info you can share, I'll be checking out this thread.

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Rai.S. wrote:
Hello ikay, thank you for taking your time to share this information and citing a number of examples as well. I somehow got your point. So, that's basically how it sound in that there's no really R sound in Korean as it is with the American R. I really appreciate it.
And if you have more info you can share, I'll be checking out this thread.

No problem! :) Can you read and write in Hangul now? I got real busy thsi month so I haven't really been able to sit down and add to my vocab.

--

ikay

Posted 
Native
English, Tagalog
Other Arabic - Standard

I can only read really slowly. Sometimes I stop and think, "How do I pronounce this again? What letter is this again?" My vocab mainly comprises of words I usually hear from k-dramas and variety shows.

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

If you like Kpop, singing along while reading the lyrics in Hangul help a lot. :)

I also looked for Korean news articles online, then copy those to a notebook. Helped me memorize the characters faster. :) Also got me used to writing Korean characters.

--

ikay

Posted 
Native
English, Tagalog
Other Arabic - Standard

Wow ikay, I could imagine how dedicated you are. I'll surely try that one out if I have the time. Hoping to visit Korea soon. Have you been there?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Very interesting!  

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Native
English, Tagalog
Other Arabic - Standard

Hello Charlyn, are you interested in learning Korean too? :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Hi Rai! Yes, I'm interested after seeing Ikay's video. But at first, I thought Korean is very complicated to learn.  

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Rai.S. wrote:
Wow ikay, I could imagine how dedicated you are. I'll surely try that one out if I have the time. Hoping to visit Korea soon. Have you been there?

Nope. :) I'm not really into travelling and mostly just travel for work. Would love to go to Japan though. :P

--

ikay

Posted 
Native
English, Tagalog
Other Arabic - Standard

Hi Charlyn! I thought so too. But I've learned that they also have 27 letters, so I gave it a shot.

Posted 
Native
English, Tagalog
Other Arabic - Standard

ikaymoreno wrote:

Nope. :) I'm not really into travelling and mostly just travel for work. Would love to go to Japan though. :P

Japan is interesting too, ikay. I wish you'll get to travel there soon. :)

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Rai.S. wrote:
ikaymoreno wrote:

Japan is interesting too, ikay. I wish you'll get to travel there soon. :)

My husband and I want to go there to eat and eat and eat. Cost of living is insane there so it'll probably be a while before we get to go. :)

--

ikay

Posted 
    Feedback