Phillip.Laplana's recent posts

Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

I rather enjoy Thomas Harris's descriptions of Hannibal Lecter's memory palace. I tried this myself, once, albeit halfheartedly, and it didn't stick. I had no idea this technique required such an investment of time, though. That's news to me.  

Posted
Native
Tagalog

edz.conde wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:
Edz, so what are you doing to keep yourself busy while you heal?

It's a good thing there are still things that I can do while confined in the room. Aside from watching tv, browsing the net, doing some online jobs, I get to oversee my babies thru cctv. I miss hugging and playing with them. The last blisters to appear are healing already so maybe a day or two I'll be off in this room already.

That's harsh. I couldn't imagine being away from my little ones. Glad you're getting better soon. Here's to you and hugging your babies finally.  

Posted
Native
Tagalog

... and its name was Eelgauskaas...

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Ari wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:
Essmel is amusing. :slightly_smiling_face: There's that Spanish quirk of putting an E vowel before an S-word that Filipinos inherited, usually in English-speaking Visayans.

I do it all the time:upside_down_face:

As an ignorant, Manila-born youth, I used to laugh at and make fun of that. Now I think it's just quaint and fun to listen to, in the same way that foreign languages are enjoyable to listen to. So charming.  

Posted
Native
Tagalog

ikaymoreno wrote:
Michelle.Batan wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:
My aunts and grandparents also would make sure to buy grapes for the Noche Buena feast, because they're good luck. Hmm. :slightly_smiling_face:

how it would bring good luck?:blush:

Mine used to do this too. They'd hang a small bundle by the door and let it dry. Then they replace it with fresh ones the next Christmas.

O_O those must have made for some very interesting Christmas raisins.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Sculling Perpendicularly Is Difficult, Even Rowing Slowly

Next: QUINJET

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Using "Femto Photography," scientists at MIT have developed a camera that can record one trillion exposures per second. That's so very near the speed of light that you can actually *watch* a burst of light travelling in slow motion through a Coke bottle filled with water. Holy crap. I always wondered what that would look like.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

I say leave 'em alone. Respect their choice of isolation.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Essmel is amusing. There's that Spanish quirk of putting an E vowel before an S-word that Filipinos inherited, usually in English-speaking Visayans.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Writing stuff down is helpful because it adds another neural pathway in your brain to associate something with a new learned thing. Like Leo said, get as much of your brain as possible to help you out.

Write down the phrase. Listen to the phrase. Listen to a recording that pauses to let you respond with the correct phrase. Watch the phrase on Sesame Street. Say the phrase out loud while listening to bistro music at a street cafe and sipping from your rich, aromatic cappuccino. Just, make as many associations as you can.  

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Edz, so what are you doing to keep yourself busy while you heal?

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Michelle.Batan wrote:
Rolling Hamster, Yelling Tarsier, Happy Monkey

Next: MUSIC
hahaha! perfect!  

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Sometimes I think the Philippines is a nation of foodies. It's so hard to pick a single favorite dish.

Today, my favorite dish is my wife's Sinigang na Baboy (savory pork stew). Ummm-yummmm.

But I also like to make straight, fried tilapia! (direct relation to the Nile tilapia, also known as St. Peter's fish)

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Today's trivia is in pictures!

1. The world is a cat. Playing with Australia.

2. You can fit a bucketload of Switzerlands inside of Brazil.

3. and finally, here is a map of ALL PUBS IN THE UNITED KINGDOM

You know... just in case you're a mite thirsty for a pint or two.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
HIPPOPOTOMONSTROSESQUIPPEDALIOPHOBIA is the fear of long word xD
No way! I call b--... oh wait, the internet says it is so. It must be true. :D

Posted
Native
Tagalog

(gosh, these are getting longer, huh)

Radioactive Exhibitionist Vampires Enter Negotiations Gaining Egress

Next: RHYTHM

Posted
Native
Tagalog

... her own personal... little maid.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

and cried out, "BOOGA BOOGA!"

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Feline Laws Inhibit Rhinoceros Trucking

New = CRUSH

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Michelle.Batan wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:
My aunts and grandparents also would make sure to buy grapes for the Noche Buena feast, because they're good luck. Hmm. :slightly_smiling_face:

how it would bring good luck?:blush:
I'm not sure! They just said it would!

Then again, my grandma said I shouldn't play with my Matchbox cars Christmas gifts. I should just keep them on display in the cabinet or else they would break. So I think her wisdom may have been a bit spotty.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

like a spider crawling closer

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Some Prefer It For Friends

New: BUFFT

Edited
Native
Tagalog

My aunts and grandparents also would make sure to buy grapes for the Noche Buena feast, because they're good luck. Hmm.  

Posted
Native
Tagalog

You're right. There are tons of French Pimsleur for under $50 (though the international shipping costs for some of them would kill me). Making a note of that and I shall keep looking.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Well I tried to come up with different heirarchies by size, like animals, fruit and whatnot.... but I just really like the current system.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

My wife makes tacos for Christmas. ^__^ We have a whole big pile of fixings and boxes of hardshells and we just keep going back and making more like a buffet. Awesome sauce.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

leosmith wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:
leosmith wrote:
After learning the alphabet and pronunciation of all the phonemes, I do Pimsleur, which guarantees that I learn all the vocab they use first. Pimsleur vocab typically consists of samples from all the things you mentioned.

Have you got any free Pimsleur resources? The ones I that I Google all seem to be paid stuff.

You can do a free trial lesson in any language. Other than that, lots of people get them from their public library. For people who can do it quickly, there is actually a much less expensive version of Pimsleur available - monthly subscription. I'm not sure what the exact deal is these days, but it seems to hover around $20/month, and you can finish 1 level (30 lessons) per month if you're ambitious. It used to be $300/level for the full price CD version.
Thanks. I'd really like to try it, but we don't have any public libraries that are up to snuff. T_T Will try the free trial and see how that works out. Maybe I'll ask the missus to find me some. She's a whiz at finding good stuff online.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

leosmith wrote:
After learning the alphabet and pronunciation of all the phonemes, I do Pimsleur, which guarantees that I learn all the vocab they use first. Pimsleur vocab typically consists of samples from all the things you mentioned.

Have you got any free Pimsleur resources? The ones I that I Google all seem to be paid stuff.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Lexington's Really Irradiated Zombies

Next: SNARF

Posted
Native
Tagalog

... cared about saving the whales!

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Well there was an attempt to abolish it in the UK in the 1700's that failed. Parliament eventually abolished it in the 1800's. So no dice for the UK. This is relevant because the original 13 US colonies inherited British common law.

In the US, where dueling is now outlawed in some states, this might be considered illegal. But apparently the New York judge says it's legal. He just won't sanction it for these parties.  

https://abovethelaw.com/2016/03/judge-admits-trial-by-combat-is-available-in-new-york-then-declines-to-order-it/

Edited
Native
Tagalog

Vladyslava wrote:
Apart from pragmatic reasons of learning the language, one should also think about which language is more appealing to their soul :) I know many people who don't like German for it's grammar and 'harsch' pronunciation, and vice versa - people who can't stand French for it's orthography and phonetics. I believe it's much easier to learn the language if you actually like it :)
Yes! I imagine it would be quite difficult to endure the frustrations of learning a new language if you didn't actually like it. Better if you were in love with it. :)

Posted
Native
Tagalog

According to the literature I can find, English wasn't precisely derived from German. Instead, it was more like a sister or cousin to German and Dutch. Like three kids from the same family, except two of them got along really well and the third was just weird and kept talking funny. And yes, it seems English was heavily influenced by French and Latin.

The diagram's author is distinctly Nordic, hence the theme of the comic. I don't know if there are other sites like it.  

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Yes, A Large Salamander, Please.

New: CARUM

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Have I Taken Over, Really?

Next: JOULD

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Michelle.Batan wrote:
Alpha Diggie Miya Angela Gord (Mobile legends heroes lol)
Next: HITOR

Posted
Native
Tagalog

... including a few exotic magazines.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

I found the source material. It wasn't a book after all; it was a webcomic.

It's called "Stand Still, Stay Silent." A very nicely drawn Finnish-Swedish webcomic about post-apocalyptic Scandinavia. You can read it here: http://sssscomic.com/

Edited
Native
Tagalog

What a helpful and enterprising soul she is! Oba-san is just one more reason to admire the Japanese. Awesomeness. ^__^

Posted
Native
Tagalog

... that said, "Do Not Open!"

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Alligators Have Delicious Eggs

New: EGGSH

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Larry Has Ten Pimples

Next: FROGE

Posted
Native
Tagalog

... stared into his third nipple.

Edited
Native
Tagalog

I vote yes. This is actually a prime requisite of Berlitz Philippines and I happen to agree with it.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

leosmith wrote:
wrote:
Formalized in 2017, Korean is just one of the 5 currently implemented Special Program in Foreign Language (SPFL) classes, which teach Spanish, French, German, Chinese, and Japanese

Yeah, I saw that too. So is the secretary bad at counting? :laughing:

Ah, my friend, I must sadly tell you that when it comes to Philippine public figures, that is not a first. ^_^;;

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Oghenekevwe wrote:
Well, I think we can all agree that French is a beautiful language and no one can dispute how widely spoken and popular it is.

Hear, hear. It is a splendid-sounding language spoken by many!

Posted
Native
Tagalog

I can't really say! It's well-made enough that I supposed it was from a published body of work, but I can't find the source via Google reverse search. Perhaps its author really does have Norwegian leanings.

Like maybe the author has a three-tailed cat. Because you know. Science. ^__^

Posted
Native
Tagalog

You're welcome! ^__^ The stories are proving useful I hope?

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Link: https://www.lingomastery.com/italian-stories-review-copy

I downloaded this ebook successfully by giving them my email address. It looks like a quaint book that could help someone learn basic Italian better.

Anyone here know how to speak Italian? You could check out the book and let us know if you think it's any good. ^__^

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Dedicated to my wife, who tends to go gaga when listening to handsome older men speaking Nordic languages.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

This is awful. I generally only install apps that have had several million downloads already, or beta apps from publishers I know. But even this would give me pause. o_o

Posted
Native
Tagalog

I know what you mean. I tried Crunchyroll's premium free trial specifically to watch a certain show and it wasn't available in my region. I tried a VPN workaround but that only worked once. Cancelled my premium free trial within 30 minutes. :P

Then there was the time I was watching a series on Netflix while I was in India. It was very engaging! Then the day I flew home, I couldn't watch it anymore. Darn region restrictions!

Posted
Native
Tagalog

... yet firm, taut and muscular...

Posted
Native
Tagalog

dragonsky wrote:
I think (i am not sure) the words are getting greener..
"ranger" is greener than "elf" ...are my eyes tricking me or..? :D
hahahaha! I actually zoomed in on the text just to find out. Your eyes are tricking you! :D

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Pearson PLC, makers of the Versant spoken language test take the approach that spoken language has a content component and a structure component. You could generally say that the first part is the ability to understand, respond and express appropriately. You could also say the second part is grammar and structure, the logical construction of the spoken language. Any person who grew up speaking a language can be strong in content but not necessarily structure, yet that person can teach that language to a non-speaker.

Berlitz rates people's written/spoken language ability on a scale that mirrors the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). They assert that anyone can teach a language, but only up to the teacher's level of ability. This makes sense because spoken language is part knowledge and part skill, and you can't transfer a skill to another that you don't already possess. I've seen this in practice and I tend to agree.

Expatriots have lived in a foreign country and picked up the language from speaking with the natives. Men and women can teach their spouses how to speak their native tongue. Basically, anyone can teach their language to another, as long as the learner wants to learn it. The only question is how *well* they can learn it.

Finally, I would assert that native speakers are better teachers than non-native speakers of a language, even without the formal training, for the simple reason that they understand the language better and know the nuances of how to use it.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

My big brother used to study German. He could speak the basics but stopped learning because his reason for learning it went away. According to him, his teachers said learning French would be easier when you learned German because the phonetics were similar on many levels. I don't know about the sentence construction though.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Any native speaker can teach a language. Usually, they can do it well, if they are seriously intent on teaching it. Methods and effectiveness may vary.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Organizational Development and Human Resources

Next: PANGLE

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:
YOLO OTOH RIMJS KHYF
(You only live once. On the other hand, Really I'm just saying, Know how you feel.)
Next: EMOJI

You just raised the bar :O
Just wanted to have a little fun. :D

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Jade.Xuereb wrote:
Music is s great way to learn because the words get stuck in your head.

I think so too. :) I once memorized more than half of P.S.Y.'s Angelina (1990) just from listening to it so much.  

Of course my fellow countrymen had to bastardize the song with their own argot and cant. :P

Posted
Native
Tagalog

ikaymoreno wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:
TemitopeAkinyede wrote:
Mei wrote:
I usually get plenty of Japanese words learned from singing Japanese songs and watching Jdrama and animes. ^_^ I sometimes play my ukulele and sing Japanese anime songs with it. YAY!
I’d love you to share some Japanese songs.. i’d love to listen and learn

Some of my favorite Japanese songs are the various opening tracks to Naruto Shipuuden. :nerd_face: Quick, sweet and oh-so-heartfelt.

I think the 1-2-3 Hero is one of the best OPs. :)

Hero's Comeback? It does have great things going for it. The gritty styles of three of the vocalists play well together. Also, plus points for being the first OP for the series launch. My absolute favorite of the lot would have to be opening song number 7 (Toumei Datta Sekai).

But Comeback really does stick in your head. Hehehe.  

Posted
Native
Tagalog

ikaymoreno wrote:
dragonsky wrote:
Any fun animated shows? I love Archer, Futurama and South Park..ooh also BoJack...I feel like Animated shows are always great haha

Rick and Morty is loads of fun. :)

Holy Crow! Rick and Morty are terrifically fun! Two thumbs up! :)

Posted
Native
Tagalog

YOLO OTOH RIMJS KHYF

(You only live once. On the other hand, Really I'm just saying, Know how you feel.)

Next: EMOJI

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Oghenekevwe wrote:
I'm an elf! Mythical mysterious elf!!!
Hooray! :D Now go forth and do mysterious elvish things! Like... um... yeah! Mysterious elvish things! :D:D:D

Posted
Native
Tagalog
  • Remember when Coca Cola came out with that green version that was colored and flavored with stevia leaf extract? It turns out they didn't need to do that. Without the normally added food coloring, Coca Cola's real color *is* green!
  • The Guinness Book of Records holds the record for Most Frequently Stolen Library Book.
  • The Code of Hammurabi, one of the world's oldest and most complete legal codes stated that the punishment for a bartender who watered down beer was execution.

We're baaaaack! ^__^

Posted
Native
Tagalog

... gleefully ate them all anyway.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Jeepers, I Packed Her Underwear!

New: UMLAUT

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Awww man, I would love a bowl of noodles right now. Shin Ramyeon Mushroom flavor with an egg in it, and some kimchi on the side. omg. so good.... so good...

Posted
Native
Tagalog

:O Say it ain't so! That would be pretty funny though, just for gags. :D

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Tagalog: "Pang-ilan" is a numerical determiner that roughly translates to "for quantity" and does not translate directly to English. You would have to go to the closest applicable pronoun "which" and associate it with a number adjective (first, next, last) or an ordinal number (second, third, fourth...).

"Pang-ilan ka na sa pila?" asks where you stand in a queue and expects an ordinal number response, like "pangatlo" or "third." This does not translate directly, though many Filipinos try to cobble together make-words like "how many-eth" to do the job. Simply asking "where do you stand in the queue" is not intuitive. It feels awkward. Better to have asked "How long until it's your turn?" or "How many people are ahead of you?" Nowhere in those questions is there a direct translation of "pang-ilan."

This particular word is the backbone of a thirty-year-old riddle that goes How do you say "Pang-ilang Presidente ng Pilipinas si [name of sitting president]?" in English? I assume it's at least thirty years old. It could be older. The first time I heard it, Ferdinand Marcos was Philippine President, and he was deposed in 1983. Literally hundreds of people on the Internet have asserted that they have the correct answer to that question, but they're all wrong.   

Posted
Native
Tagalog

I've seen so many ads for Tik Tok. And that's all I ever care to see of it--the ads. :P

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:
I'll start with a nice bowl of noodle soup. Preferably La Paz Batchoy. That will taste so good and fatty and the high sodium content will assist in my re-hydration.
Then I toss back a couple of glasses of water. Then I have some more batchoy (because it's just yummy). Then I nurse a bottle of milk tea for the rest of the day.

This sound sooooo good!! Part of my cure was to dance a lot (if possible) before going home, at home I usually ate something and drank a lot of water + a pill for the headache :)

Oh! You know what also seems to work? Drinking a lot of water before you pass out. If you can manage it. Hahaha. I know there's lots of things I would love to do before passing out drunk. :3

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Friends Entering Divorce Owe Ridiculous Alimony

Next: ZOOMBA

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Khadijah.Davis wrote:
I have a jersey accent so, in my opinion, my English sounds funny. When it comes to Spanish I often fail horribly with the rolling "r" sound. It's quite funny but im working on it lol XD

ohmigosh, yoah fwum JOISEY???  

Posted
Native
Tagalog

TemitopeAkinyede wrote:
Mei wrote:
I usually get plenty of Japanese words learned from singing Japanese songs and watching Jdrama and animes. ^_^ I sometimes play my ukulele and sing Japanese anime songs with it. YAY!
I’d love you to share some Japanese songs.. i’d love to listen and learn

Some of my favorite Japanese songs are the various opening tracks to Naruto Shipuuden. Quick, sweet and oh-so-heartfelt.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Truly, though. I wonder what lies beyond Ent. Wizard seems too... I dunno... pedestrian.

Whaddaya wanna bet that the next level after Ent is Balrog?  

Posted
Native
Tagalog

That sounds absurdly cool.... tactical elephant gyroscope... heheh...

Calico Cats Fear All Snakes

Next: NAUGA

Posted
Native
Tagalog

... way the world sees her.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

This guy tried some games in French for the immersion aspect (but more to justify wanting to play games). He had some mixed results.  

https://www.reddit.com/r/languagelearning/comments/9w570i/video_games_for_immersion_in_a_language/

Posted
Native
Tagalog

... rescue the lovely girl from...

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Cousins Overindulging in Really Kinky Sherbets

New: SWANS

Posted
Native
Tagalog

dragonsky wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:
dragonsky wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:
dragonsky wrote:
If someone likes the Naked Gun movies as much as I do, I'd recommend the series as well. There's a show with like 5-6 episodes only before the movies, and it's as fun as the movies!

I love the Naked Gun movies. What is this series you speak of???

I think it's called "Police Squad!" and it's from 1982.
That's why the first movie is called:" Naked Gun: Tales from the Police Squad!"
It has only 6 episodes that are like 20 mins long, but the humor of it is same as in the movies

Oh, I've heard about Police Squad. Definitely going to look for that. Might as well download Airplane too while I'm at it. ^^

I love Airplane!
Great movies. I miss that hmour.
Scary Movie was good too in that style of humour but the last 2 movies were meh

"I *am* serious. And don't call me Shirley."  

Posted
Native
Tagalog

I'll start with a nice bowl of noodle soup. Preferably La Paz Batchoy. That will taste so good and fatty and the high sodium content will assist in my re-hydration.

Then I toss back a couple of glasses of water. Then I have some more batchoy (because it's just yummy). Then I nurse a bottle of milk tea for the rest of the day.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

My pronunciation of certain English words has started to go South. The ones I don't use often. My wife ribs me about it :P

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Wow, I didn't know about Central Asia. I wonder how old this alphabet is.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

dragonsky wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:
dragonsky wrote:
If someone likes the Naked Gun movies as much as I do, I'd recommend the series as well. There's a show with like 5-6 episodes only before the movies, and it's as fun as the movies!

I think it's called "Police Squad!" and it's from 1982.
That's why the first movie is called:" Naked Gun: Tales from the Police Squad!"
It has only 6 episodes that are like 20 mins long, but the humor of it is same as in the movies

Oh, I've heard about Police Squad. Definitely going to look for that. Might as well download Airplane too while I'm at it. ^^

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
Stop Thinking On Lazy Bobcats
New PERRO

Pink Eterniti Rear-ended Red Oldsmobile

New: SNOG

Posted
Native
Tagalog

dragonsky wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:
Добро пожаловать в Комитет государственной безопасности. Посетители должны временно отдать свои паспорта. Наслаждайтесь своим пребыванием.
Cyrillic. Gotta love it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Одлична е кирилицата :D :D
(I had to reply in cyrillic cause it's not often I get to use it on the internet haha :D )

Ah! You used Macedonian, though! What other languages use Cyrillic besides Macedonian, Russian, Ukrainian.... ? Belarusian maybe?

Edited
Native
Tagalog

I've been guilty of #9 (blush)  

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Jade.Xuereb wrote:
We do a lot of roleplay too I send my students to our pretend store with a shopping list and see if they can buy the right items (new vocab learnt)

Ooh, practical, survival activities! How cool.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Oh, hi! You take the last acronym (CRUFF) and make it into a phrase.

Then you give us a new acronym: anything you like. :)

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
Join Our Incredible Rant
New:GATO

Gentlemen Always Take Over

New: CRUFF

Posted
Native
Tagalog

dragonsky wrote:
Working In Yoga Position
...that actually sounds like a good way to work :D
New: JOIR

I heartily agree. Except sometimes, Yoga positions can be painful. o_o

Posted
Native
Tagalog

dragonsky wrote:

Posted
Native
Tagalog

ikaymoreno wrote:
I love QI. :) I actually enjoy the newer ones better than the ones with Stephen Fry.

I haven't seen the Frye ones, but he CAN be quite snarky!

dragonsky wrote:
There are some great British panel shows. 8 out of 10 cats does countdown (I still don't get why it's called like that) is another great one I found out about like few motnhs ago...but apparently that show is only having new episodes during the summer

Oh I love that one! My wife shows me all the clips and collections. She has COTR (Custody of the Remote) so we watch the stuff on YouTube but I rarely get to see a whole episode. COTR and all that.  

Posted
Native
Tagalog

You're welcome! I really liked the part about myelin lamination. I picked up a Tetris game a few months ago after about a two-decade-long hiatus and blew through dozens of levels like it was nothing. Zoned out in 30 seconds and before I knew it 45 minutes had passed. Hahahaha. It's like I never stopped playing it.

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Добро пожаловать в Комитет государственной безопасности. Посетители должны временно отдать свои паспорта. Наслаждайтесь своим пребыванием.

Cyrillic. Gotta love it.  

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Pictures and videos are great for adult learners. Mostly for pattern and imitation. For simple things, a whiteboard and marker are quite useful.

As to method, one of our favorites was to mime an interaction (like Meeting For The First Time) and have each individual in a group repeat the lines, then repeat them in pairs, then repeat them with other pairs, until everyone got it. I learned basic Arabic greetings and Japanese greetings that way, though I suspect I'm probably rusty now since I never get the chance to use them.  

Posted
Native
Tagalog

Here are a couple of things you might want to know to improve whatever you're practicing. :) And a quick lesson on brain chemistry!

Posted
Feedback