edz.conde's recent topics

Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Got some new info about the English language here and a little amazed of the Buffalo thing. Haha.

https://ahtaitay.blogspot.com/2017/10/weird-facts-about-english-language.html?fbclid=IwAR1Jf4tKcmWxCKCTyBG0pU8xZV4Adn89uKo_LntF9W9zbIFguLz3qaiatDk

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

How to learn a language in 15 minutes per day.

Haven't tried this app yet. But will the 15 minutes per day be enough to help me with my Spanish learning?

Any feedback from Babbel app users please?

Edited

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

I don't know how effective is this in learning new words of a new language, but I'm kind of curious of doing it, if I can.... perhaps one of these days. Haha. What do you think about this guys? 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/01/190131113837.htm

(edit - link fixed)

Edited

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

According to this article, being open to understand the culture of a place that speaks the language that we are studying can greatly help us in our second language acquisition. I think this pertains more to the immersion phase. Aside from perhaps equating their culture to the etimology of their language etc., by knowing, understanding and respecting their culture, we can really gain native friends, who can graciously help us with our learning.

https://www.strategiesinlanguagelearning.com/language-learning-and-culture/

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

Among these 5 stages of second language acquisition, what stage are you now in the language that you are currently learning? Way to go for me because I'm still in the pioneering stage. Whew! Ajah! :blush:

https://education.cu-portland.edu/blog/classroom-resources/five-stages-of-second-language-acquisition/

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

I'm glad to share this one here. I hope members of this site could visit our country, the Philippines. And if ever you do, please let us know so that we could gladly assist you. :blush:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1084228161729335&id=574719552680201

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

I happened to see this video while browsing the facebook and it has caught my attention. This is a very interesting form of communicating and I think a really hard one to learn. :relieved::grin:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=240715183454058&id=276157035868006

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

Hi everyone. For a while, the thought of either sharing or not sharing this one with you got a good fight in my mind, but in the end the former won. Haha! 

(I'm laughing here but right now I'm fighting my own battle not to scratch my back, my head, and every part of my body where there are blisters.) Yes, I have a chicken pox at the moment, and it has been 5 days already that I'm in isolation. :slightly_frowning_face:...Have you ever experience getting sick like this before? What did you do to motivate yourself to fight all the sadness, boredom, and worries? Please let me know. Thanks! 

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

For Koreans out there, please don't get me wrong with this and I mean no offense to your language. I just would like to share my personal thoughts on one of the trending topics in learning here in our country today. The idea is that instead of the Filipino language which is being taught in tertiary level in our old curriculum, our government would like to replace it with Korean language. 

I'm not against the language itself but choosing that over our national language is a big betrayal to all Filipinos and our country itself. Specially now in the globalization age, anybody who would like to learn Korean can search and study online so I don't get why they still would include that in the new curriculum and remove the other. I will not be against it if it is just an addition, though I still would prefer Mandarin or Spanish.

Just saying.

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

Any comment on this? There is no tagalog (my native) word in there so I could not personally comment on the words listed here. 

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2741

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

I would like to share this article about enhancing our metacognitive skills aside from the cognitive skills to help us out in coming up with effective strategies in making our learning and/or teaching a second language easier. 

Here's the link to it.

https://www.ericdigests.org/2003-1/role.htm

The author stressed out that when we learners reflect upon our learning strategies, we become more prepared to make conscious decisions of what we can do to improve our learning. Just recently in my language learning journey, I think I was able to utilize my metacognition skills which directed me to try the opposite process or strategy of what I am actually doing at that time. 

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

I have been searching and trying to understand spanish grammar for days now, and I'm kind of a little bit overwhelmed and flustered with the result of my searches. You know that kind of feeling as if there is a plethora of things to learn and comprehend to the point that I could not digest them anymore, and I would find myself clinging to my maπana habit. But there is this one video I stumbled upon which redirected me to start backwards and which I think will be more handy in my case. The formula is "reading and/or listening + checking spanish grammar rules + application". 

You may want to check this video especially for other spanish learners out there. :blush:

https://youtu.be/_hJPsaaZXBg

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

May I suggest for an edit button for title or topic? Most of the time I use my phone in commenting or posting here that's why I usually have typo errors but I noticed that there is no edit option for the title/topic part. It would be great if you have one. 

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

I love different philosophies in life because they are usually very poetic, realistic, and inspiring. I have a favorite one which is written in Tagalog and it goes this way:

"Ang hindi lumingon sa pinanggalingan ay hindi makakarating sa paroroonan."

Translation:

He who doesn't look back to where he came from could not reach his destination. 

Edited

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

I don't know what I had clicked but my page is kind of a total mess. Instructions and titles are in Spanish, but some texts are in English. What's more is that my essay which is written in spanish is now written in English. How can I reset my setting and go back to the normal setting? 

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

When I was a child, I'm really most scared of "Aswang" especially when all souls'day is about to come. Because of that I'm afraid to go out at night since our home is full of trees around and you cannot see the nearest neighbourhood.  

But there was this one night when my mom was sick and she really needed to take medicine, and I'm the only one at home with her because my bigger sisters are far away for schooling. I didn't have a choice then so I went out and bought her medicine. That night while walking in the long path going to the store was the scariest incident for me when I was child, because I imagined the moving trees as 'Aswang" or monsters who were about to swallow me whole. 

How about you, what's the scariest incident in your childhood days? 

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

Most non-native English speakers are either good in speaking or writing it, although there are some who are good in both aspects. As for me, I have the advantage in writing the language because that is where I'm most exposed to. I could speak English but I'm not so fluent about it. 

How about you, are you good in speaking or writing English? or are you both? 

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

In our country we have many borrowed words or words influenced by other language (mostly Spanish) such as the following:

Lamesa - Table

Tasa - Cup

Uno, Dos, Tres ...- One, Two, Three...

Karne - Meat

Leche Flan - a sweet dessert

Baso - Glass

Tren - Train

Pabo - Turkey

Amiga - Friend

Ermano/Ermana - brother/sister

Ayuda - Help

Nunca - Never

Esposa/Esposo - Wife/ Husband

Pandesal - a type of bread

Nerbyoso - a person who is always nervous

Pero - But

Bus - Bus

Kalye - Street

Banyo - Bathroom

Sirado - Closed

Telepono - Phone

Pamilya - Family

Palda - Skirt

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

Sharing this one to those who are Spanish beginner learners. I need to admit that at this rate, I'm still working things out and really extending time and efforts to learn how Spanish sentences are formed. 

https://www.fluentu.com/blog/spanish/spanish-sentence-structure/

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

Assuming that there is really reincarnation, what do want to be in your next life and why? 

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

Four months ago I joined a choral group in our company, and I'm really glad to have known the proper breathing, phrasing and all, because of our regular practices. I'm grateful also that at my age I was able to do this thing and I considered it a development for myself. 

How about you, do you have any suggestion on self-development activities aside from learning new languages?

Edited

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

Hello guys! 

I think everybody is busy now, but I miss your posts and the sharing of ideas and small talks we had here. I have been thinking to post this since the other day, but I hesitated because I don't know if post like this is allowed. But I really miss you all. Good luck to all your undertakings and God bless. 

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

Does anyone here believes in destiny just like I do? 

Actually when I was still younger I do'nt want to acknolwedge it, but the circumstances that happened between me and my husband made me a believer. 

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

After attaching 2 pics... here is what happened. There is overlapping with the text. I just thought of reporting this in case there is error or something. :)

Edited

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

In case you would like to visit our country, here are some words and phrases that we use with different meaning. :)

http://blog.lexcode.com.ph/5-english-words-phrases-used-differently-philippines/

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

Do you have anything in mind that you would like to have done in the past (younger years) but was not able to? 

Mine is learning volleyball, swimming, dancing, singing, playing guitar, and riding a bicycle. I think I was not able to really make the most of my time when I was young. 

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

I found this funny and thought to share this here. :joy::joy::joy:

Edited

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

Have known by heart more than a hundred spanish words as of today... quite a small number but it's a good start...will keep this as my personal log to keep me updated and motivated.

Hasta maπana! :blush:

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

I had this particular moment when I voluntered to sing (it's actually like we're in a band with my other friends) for an intermission number in a program in our company. Because we din't have much time to practice, we decided to just go for songs that we all know. We did practiced for a short time but I didn't know what happened to us during the actual performance. Our voices didn't blend and go well with each other! Haha! I heared out-of-tuned voices and right then and there I wished I was swallowed by the stage because of embarrassment. 

How about you guys? What's the most embarrassing moment in your life? 

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

Sorry my post was accidentally deleted while editing it. Here's the content of it. 

Was glad to have shared this site to someone who is interested to join a language learning community. :blush:

Edited

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

Lately I'm also getting into the Kpop fever here in our country. I started to follow certain Korean actors and actresses. I love Park Shin Ye, Lee Jong-suk and Kim Young Kwan and many others. I've already seen Empress Ki, Pinochio, Descendants of the Sun, The Heirs, Sweet Stranger and Me, Doctor Crush, Remember, Great Seducer, Go Ho's Starry Night and some I already forgot the titles. Because of this, I also began to take interest in Hangul. Actually, that will be the next language I would like to learn after I become a B1 perhaps in Spanish (whew! I hope I could get there!:)

Maybe you have some great suggestions to add to my next target Kpop drama? Thanks in advance! :)

Edited

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

How many here are married already and have babies? Maybe we could use this to share some of our parenting styles and help each other. 

Do you have home remedy tips to relieve rashes in the neck of babies? My youngest has one and it has been there for weeks already. Have been putting anti-rash baby powder but it just won't go away. 

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

I was wondering if there's an option here where i could edit my profile name or does it goes with my email address?

Edited

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

Hola!

Can anybody give me at least 5 spanish words or phrases and its English translation (no repetition please:)...just to add to my vocabulary. This will save me a little time in searching the net you know...and my head spins around whenever I search the net for spanish words because it provides me with a long list. For now, five a day will do for me. Please do not include these anymore: hola, buenos dias, buenos tardes, buenos noches, por favor, gracias, adios, senior, seniorito, amore, beinvenido, pavo, si, te amo, como estas, hasta pronto, hasta luego, feliz, de nada, compleanos, me llamo, amiga

Edited

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

A book lover here since my childhood days. I remembered visiting different libraries just to read books when I was in high school and college. I even have earned units in Bachelor of Science in Library Science after I graduated in college because of that passion. 

But due to the presence of the net and other gadgets i can't remember when was the last time i sat down on a chair and read a book from page one till the end. My being married and having two cute babies is also a factor.

How about you, when is the last time you read a book? ...and if ever i could find time to read, what book (fiction only) would you suggest?

Edited

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

Hope this post will be posted

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

Just would like to share this with you guys. Included in this article is our native word "kilig". Maybe some of your native words are also there. :)

20 of the World's Most Beautiful Untranslatable Words

edit - fixed link

Edited

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

Hello!

Are there personal notifications here if someone replied to my comments or posts? ....You know just like in facebook, you'll be notified if someone liked or reacted to your posts, the posts you are following or the message that you have sent through chat.

If none, i suggest creating one for easy reference and faster response (in case needed)

Edited

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

Hi everyone!

I'm curious and would like to know your native language versions of "Good morning", " "Thank you", and "Goodbye". I'll start with ours.

Filipino version:

Good morning = Magandang umaga

Thank you = Salamat

Goodbye = Paalam

Posted

Edzky-18

Native
Tagalog
Other English

Hello everyone! 

Kumusta kayong lahat!

Gusto kong ipakilala ang aking sarili gamit ang sarili naming lenggwahe ( Though there's a translation below for non-Filipinos). Ako'y bunso sa limang magkakapatid. Ang ama't ina ko'y parehong guro sa isang maliit na paaralan sa probinsya namin. Pero nung ako'y nag-aaral na ang sabi ko sa sarili ko, ayaw kong maging isang guro katulad ng mga magulang ko, kasi laging busy sa trabaho kahit nasa bahay gumagawa pa rin ng ugnay sa kanyang pagiging guro. Kaya kinuha kong kurso nung college ay AB English. Ang sabi ko nun, gusto ko maperpek ang lenggwahe ng mga kano kasi gusto ko mangibang bansa pagdating ng araw. Ngayon hanggang dun palang din ako sa pangarap. Pero alam ko darating ang panahon na makakalipad din ako at mapupuntahan ko din ang iba't ibang mga bansa na gusto kong puntahan. Sinimulan ko munang ikutin ang aming bansa. Simula Luzon, Visayas at Mindanao, napuntahan ko na ang magagandang lugar at tanawin sa amin, at habang andun ako sa mga lugar na yun umiigting ang aking pagmamahal sa aking sinilangang bayan. At tuwinay nasasambit ko ang mga katagang "Salamat Panginoon at ipinakita mo sa akin ang ganda ng Pilipinas!"

p.s. English translation is in the comment section. 

Edited

Edzky-18

Feedback