dragonsky's recent topics

Posts0Likes0Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Many people consider latin a "dead language"

Many other ancient languages can be seen as dead (or evolving into something else) from the "ancient times"

Do you think in the modern day and age we can see more languages becoming "dead"?

Maybe not in the next 100 years but in the next 500 maybe? Especially seeing as English is used more and more....who knows...

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

These things happen. Some words in certain languages have different or multiple meanings so accidental comedy may happen :D 

So, what are the funniest translations you've seen?

I can't think of too many right now, but I'll surely write some examples later, as I've seen so many hilarious translations form English in my country

But the one I do remember is actually a Bulgarian translation of the movie "2 Guns" which was translated into something along the lines of "2 Cocks" 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I've seen a thread like this on multiple forums so I think a thread like this may be fun to have on this forum.

Here you can talk random things...talk about your life, what you're doing, literally anything you can think of!

Currently...I am sick :/ I have a cold and it definitely sucks :/

And how are you doing fellow forumers? (forumers is not a word but who cares :D ) 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I'm talking about non-learning books.

Let's say you speak three languages. For this example I'll use Swedish.

Let's say you know how to speak Swedish, English and Russian

Your native language is Russian. You speak/know English on great level and your Swedish is not that great but you are still doing all right.

So let's take the book "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo"

The book is originally written in Swedish. And the book is translated in Russian, English and Swedish.

Do you:

-Read it in English cause you want to read it in a foreign language but you still want to understand all of it

-Read it in Russian cause you want to enjoy the book in your native language which you know best and which will make you enjoy the book most

-Read it in Swedish so you can experience the book as it was written but risk not understanding everything while also using this as a way to test and improve your knowledge

?

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Also, as an alternative, what's a language that took you longest (but you managed to learn it eventually)? :) 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Woooo hooo!!!! 

Will you celebrate it? How was 2018 for you? What are your expectations for 2019? 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

You want to learn a new language? You want to improve something you already know? You want to travel to another country and test your knowledge with the locals?

Whatever it is...post it here! :)) 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

How does onomatopoeia differ in the different languages?

For example is there a language where pigs don't say "oink"? :D 

I know for laughing it's really different..some say "hahah" some say "jajaja" some say "huehuehue" some say "yayayaya"

So surely there's difference in onomatopoeia between languages :D

I'm looking to some interesting examples in this thread :D 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

In this media age, everyone can learn a language just by watching videos and typing stuff online...but... do you think that writing down words with pen(cil) and paper would actually help you learn a certain language faster?

Idk, this may sound dumb honestly but I am interested...do any of you people learning languages online have notebooks with notes or do you do that all online? 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Some forums have this option and I think it can be useful if you are out of the loop with some threads and you are not sure what's the entire context of the reply/post some users are making.

Example:

User replied:

Yeah, I agree.

I think there should be a button ( I mean like an arrow or smth like that) next to the quote(or something like that) that if you click will lead you to the original post that's being quoted. 

Just an idea :) 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Is there a way to merge double comments?

Example:

If you make two different comments on same thread one after another they are shown as two separate posts.

But...I think it would be better if the post was like this:

POST POST POST

and when you try to make another separate comment.......it should be automatically merged with the previous post so instead of:

Comment 1: POST POST POST

Comment 2: Also...post!

It should look like:

Comment 1:

POST POST POST

-------merged with another post after it----

Also....post!

I hope what I'm trying to say makes sense?

I'm talkinga bout not having one user being able to make BACK TO BACK posts (without anyone interfering) 

Like...if you make 2 posts in same thread in 30 minutes (maybe hour) they should be automatically merged...

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Seeing as it was Halloween yesterday, I figured we can have a thread where you can share some of your favorite traditions from all over the world ^_^ 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

In this thread we post videos that are parody or humorous videos about a certain accent of way of speaking

I'll start with this video about New Zealand accent :D 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I know this question sounds weird maybe but I hope someone gets me :D

I'm talking about visually pleasing alphabet. Which language has the "best looking" alphabet?

I vote for the Georgian alphabet. It looks like something from the past and from the future at the same time. Idk I just find it really fun to look at even though I don't understand it :D 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

This is totally not a big deal for the overall forum experience, but I noticed this and not sure if it's a bug or what, but since stuff like this is why this section of the forum exists I figured I'd share this

When you make a post your user number of post is not immediately updated.

For example:

I enter the forum with 10 posts.

I make a post.

Under my username it says I still have 10 posts.

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

So here's the situation. If I get a notification and I click it directly, that notification is erased and it no longer appears.

But...if I get 3 notifications for example, and I open all 3 in different tabs....They'll still stay there even though I've read all new notifications.

It's not a major problem of course, but I think it would be better if they were "erased" even if you open them in new tab and not just directly.

Just my opinion :) 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Hey people! Today is my birthday, so I wanted to make a thread like this.

How do you celebrate your birthday? Do you still celebrate it? When did you stopped celebrating it?

What are some interesting b-day traditions in certain parts of the worlds? 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I'm talking about jokes that have some phrases/idioms/references that are funny only in it's "natural" language but they'll make sense even if you translate them to other language.

Also...for jokes and giggles.....what are some jokes that make complete sense in your language......but are unfunny if you translate them to English? 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

When I select words/sentences, I often turn the words from green to white/peach by mistake (cause I want to see the translation of the word, and sometimes I click words I already know by mistake and...yeah...I'm clumsy haha)

So, every time I have to click "yes" on the photo I attached.

I think it would've been a small but helpful change if there was a "don't ask me this again" button for all the clumsy people like me.

I don't think this will help all people, but it's a small and helpful change in my opinion :)

(edited - please use the Inline or Inline Thumbnail function when posting screen shots)

Edited
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Also... as a side question...how big of a role do you think an accent has on the language?

For example do you think a person speaking a certain language with an accent is better or worse?

Let's say French people have a certain accent that makes everything they say more interesting, even if they speak English with bad grammar and mistakes, I like listening to them just cause of the accent.

To answer the question in the topic name - My favorite accent is Spanish. There's just something about it. I talked to some Spanish people and their accent to me is so gorgeous. I fell in love immediately, it's just such a "hot accent" that makes everything better (and sexier :D ) sounding.

What about you? 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

This is not really a huge issue, but I think it would improve the forum IMHO.

I usually like to open multiple tabs at once, and when you get notifications for responses in different threads, I think it would be really good if you can open them in multiple tabs.

Right now when you use the right click you don't get the option to open the link in new tab.

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I'm not sure if this option exists somewhere in the user settings, but most of the sites/forums that I get updates from directly in mail have the "If you don't want to view this, click here to unsubscribe from e-mail updates" option.

Cause sometimes you can read all the responses you got on a thread, and then few hours later you log in to your mail and you see all those mails about responses you already know you had and it fills up your e-mail. Plus if you get too many mails they may automatically go to the junk folder eventually. 

Just an idea :) 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

As you can see on the picture I attached the "add new translation box" occupies a part of the text that you are trying to translate.

It should be movable so you can put it aside so you can actually see the text you are trying to translate. 

(edit - please use one of the inline functions for screenshots)

Edited
Feedback