Arabic Language

Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationKarachi / PK
Native
Urdu
Learning Arabic - Standard, English, Japanese, Pashto, Chinese - other

Arabic, which is the native tongue of more than 200 million people worldwide, ranks 6th among the major languages of the world. Arabic is the official language of Algeria, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, Western Sahara, and Yemen as well as one of the six official languages of the United Nations. In addition, it is widely spoken in countries such as Somalia and is the language of the holy writings of Muslims throughout the world.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

It is also the basis for most numerical systems as 

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

It's hard to learn for native English speakers too. Maybe the hardest part is the fact that it's practically a requirement to learn both Standard Arabic and a dialect in order for it to be really useful. Two languages are harder than one  

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Most dialects and derivative languages Have a lot of standard Arabic at their cores. I only speak Egyptian (which is a lot of slang) and closest to modern standard Arabic.My grandfather on one side speaks Libyan closer to standard Arabic. My grandparents on the other side speak Maltese (Maltese Arabic) which is a butchering of many languages including i think ...Italian Sicilian Spanish and Arabic. One side speak no English and we have always managed to converse. I taught my daughter (3 at the time) some Egyptian phrases before we visited friends in Taba and a few months after when my Libyan family came to visit in the UK she heard them speaking and chimed in with some Egyptian they were very emotional.

Posted 
    Feedback