Are subtitles helpful for language learning?

Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationIT
Native
Russian, Swedish
Other English, Finnish, Italian

Since I started watching movies and tv-series in original language with subtitles in the original language my language skills quickly improved. For example, when I started watching English tv-series with English subtitles I noticed that after a while I didn't even need the subtitles to understand the speech.

Also, I'm curious. How is it in your country, are foreign movies dubbed or are there subtitles?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined12/7/2018LocationRis-Orangis / FR
Native
Spanish
Learning English, French

Hello Olga, you are totally right, since I began to watch series or movies with the subtitles, my french begin to improve so much, so this is a really usefull tool, but in my country Colombia it was normaly to have the movies with subtitles, more or less since the past year most of the movies are dubbed.

Posted 
Native
Russian, Swedish

I also enjoy watching movies in the original language even if I don't speak the language.

I love the French cinema. Watching dubbed French movies would not be the same as watching them with subtitles (in English in my case, as I don't speak French)

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined12/7/2018LocationPH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Spanish

I like watching movies and series with subtitles. Even though its an english movie or series because sometimes I still encounter words that I don't know the meaning. So what I do is I try to search their meanings in google while I hit the pause button. :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

thats how I learned English. ☺️

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Interesting. I find that subtitles in L2 help my reading improve, but distract my listening. When I'm watching something, I'm trying to get better at listening, so I don't use them anymore.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

My daughter wants subtitle every time she watch her favorite cartoons. It really helps her to learn the English language. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationKingston / JM
Native
English
Other Spanish

I’m embarking on the journey because I want to travel to at least 10 non English speaking countries by 25 and also for the job opportunities that it makes you qualified for. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Subtitles are a very useful tool but be aware they can be wrong or shortened or said in a different manner si it is no good for learning word for word replacement but in general mean the same thing. It's also important to note humour doesn't often translate exactly and with languages like English there is often an underlying inference we also use a lot of sarcasm. As a listening and submersion tool subtitles are a highly valuable resource but for studying not so good.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined9/7/2018LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French

Subtitles work for me but if I overthink about them I get distracted. I watch Korean films and drama and sometimes find myself not even looking at the subtitles and I can still understand what they're saying but when I focus on the subtitles, overthinking, I get dizzy. :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined12/7/2018LocationRis-Orangis / FR
Native
Spanish
Learning English, French

It´s true they can distract, it depends too of each person, but it´s also true that they are a really usefull tool for write and for learn new words, of course each one has the way to learn who works better.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018Location
Native
Tagalog
Other English, German, Spanish

I love watching Korean, Indian and spanish movies in English subtitles. 

Posted 
Native
Russian, Swedish

Khadijah.Davis wrote:

Subtitles work for me but if I overthink about them I get distracted. I watch Korean films and drama and sometimes find myself not even looking at the subtitles and I can still understand what they're saying but when I focus on the subtitles, overthinking, I get dizzy. :)

lol sometimes I overthink too, or just start thinking for myself "that wasn't a correct translation" and how I would translate the phrase :grinning:

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Frederick.Dizon wrote:

My daughter wants subtitle every time she watch her favorite cartoons. It really helps her to learn the English language.

Both of mine went through a phase of that crying if they weren't available , but both if mine are English reading English sub's ! 

Posted 
Native
Russian, Swedish

Frederick.Dizon wrote:

How old is she? It's great that she is interested in reading the subtitles.

My oldest wouldn't bother doing it :grinning: 

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

Jade.Xuereb wrote:

Both of mine went through a phase of that crying if they weren't available , but both if mine are English reading English sub's !

Yup, same thing.

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

Olga.Cygnel wrote:

How old is she? It's great that she is interested in reading the subtitles.

My oldest wouldn't bother doing it :grinning:

She's 8. Every time she hears/read a word that she don't understand, she will ask for the meaning.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined9/7/2018Location
Native
Russian, Ukrainian
Other English, German

I like having subtitles. I view them as an aid, not a distraction. I like having a clear, instant view of the dialogue in case I miss something.I don't think they distract me from the image at all. I don't completely look away from the visuals on screen, I just kind of watch both at the same time, some how.

I can help with Russian and Ukrainian languages

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

Oxana.Salij wrote:

I like having subtitles. I view them as an aid, not a distraction. I like having a clear, instant view of the dialogue in case I miss something.I don't think they distract me from the image at all. I don't completely look away from the visuals on screen, I just kind of watch both at the same time, some how.

Same here. Maybe at first you will struggle having it while watching.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018Location

That is how i learnt english..

Posted 
    Feedback