Time to stop learning new languages?

Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationIT
Native
Russian, Swedish
Other English, Finnish, Italian

Stumbled upon this article today.

Do you believe that soon we won't need to learn a language when there is technology that can help us communicate with each other?

https://www.boredpanda.com/real-time-translator-ear-waverly-labs

The article describes an in-ear device that translates everything for you in real time... Thoughs?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

It's a handy, though I still would prefer learning other languages for self improvement. Also, stored knowledge is way more precious and reliable in any situation. 

There are a lot of arguments about that piece of device such as the negative effects it has in our ear drums or in our health in general, its durability, reliability, etc. 

Edzky-18

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined12/7/2018LocationPH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Spanish

If possible not to stop learning new languages or even words because it's a good exercise for the brain. 

But this kind of gadget is a help of you really cant learn the language in a given time. For example you are going on a vacation and you don't know the language that they speak. So this gadget will be handy. 

For the health reason, you can try to use this gadget: https://awesomestuff365.com/portable-language-translation-device/. :grin:

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Frederick.Dizon wrote:

If possible not to stop learning new languages or even words because it's a good exercise for the brain.

But this kind of gadget is a help of you really cant learn the language in a given time. For example you are going on a vacation and you don't know the language that they speak. So this gadget will be handy.

For the health reason, you can try to use this gadget: https://awesomestuff365.com/portable-language-translation-device/. :grin:

The portable translation device is really a better choice compared to the in-ear one. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edzky-18

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Olga.Cygnel wrote:
The article describes an in-ear device that translates everything for you in real time... Thoughs?

I heard it was fake last year, and that they were just trying to get crowdfunding. Looks like it's still around though. Should be interesting.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018Location

I don't think learning a new language should stop because it opens up your mind to whole new level and also helps in self improvement.

Moreover, Technology always comes hand in hand with health issues, using those devices near to head more often will affect our brain with the heat radiation that it will emit.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined14/7/2018LocationAbu Dhabi / AE
Native
Tagalog
Learning English

Sourabh.Kumar wrote:
I don't think learning a new language should stop because it opens up your mind to whole new level and also helps in self improvement.
Moreover, Technology always comes hand in hand with health issues, using those devices near to head more often will affect our brain with the heat radiation that it will emit.

Technology will help us a lot, especially if we need to have a quick information in a certain place like a popularly known virtual assistant, named "Siri" to answer your inquiries and designed/programmed in a certain languages that we understand. Accessibility and convenience wise, information comes in handy- anytime, anywhere; however, will not give you a complete language learning tailored on your own pace.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationIT
Native
Russian, Swedish
Other English, Finnish, Italian

Technology helps us a lot, but also makes us dumb in a way... New generation wouldn't probably manage without technology ( eg. apps to help in everyday life) 

I personally like to learn languages and learn about new cultures by learning their languages. I wouldn't use this device, but I know people who would if they could. I like to learn by myself, you learn so much more that way.

However, even without this device I see tourists using Google translate when they order something at cafes. :) At least they get what they want (I hope).

:)

Edited 
    Feedback