Why do you want to learn other country's language?

Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationOlongapo City / PH
Native
English, Tagalog

I believe that in everything, there is a reason. You might think that there's none, but it will always have even a small and simple reason.

English is not my native language. I studied this because it is part of our curriculum since 1st grade until my college years. But why not everybody knows and understands this language?

You need to be interested in that thing for you to have the inspiration and eagerness to learn. 

If there's a will, there's a way.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018Locationlahore / PK

Because it expands our exposure and equips us to work in different cultures with different languages.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018Location

I am learning Italian as i am traveling to Italy. People open up when you speak their language and that is what i am aiming for. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018LocationLisbon / PT
Native
Portuguese
Other English, Spanish

It depends, for example: English, most people learn it because it's the worldwide language, but there are other reasons. A lot of people learn other language because they would like to work in a specific country or they have family in a different country with a different language. There are dozens of different reasons to learn a new language.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

Would it be weird if i said i want to learn chinese just because i love the way it sounds. Will also love to learn to write because of the shapes and all.:grinning:

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

TemitopeAkinyede wrote:
Would it be weird if i said i want to learn chinese just because i love the way it sounds. Will also love to learn to write because of the shapes and all.:grinning:

Those are both valid reasons, imo. Chinese characters are all over the place, and this is one of the reasons I wanted to learn it - I want to know what's going on around me, even if it's just a bunch of obscure text.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

We used to always ask people very specifically why they want to learn a language. The answers are usually for work, to study abroad, to vacation abroad, and so on. If it's a general answer like "I love the way it sounds" we try to dig deeper and ask the learner to envision a situation where they're using the language.

The reason for that is that it's easier to focus the learning activities if we know what you want to use it for. Vacation? Teach a conversation on directions and travel instructions. Teach a conversation on ordering and eating at a restaurant. Work? Teach standard business introductions, etiquette replies and work vocabulary in the target language. Study? Focus exercises on school-related questions and clarifications, etc.

There was this one guy who wanted better English so he could pick up girls in the local touristy spots and in the business district. :D

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
There was this one guy who wanted better English so he could pick up girls in the local touristy spots and in the business district. :D

Extra points for honesty.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

I know! He dropped out before he could really start so we all wondered what happened to him. A few of us drew up a curriculum, a set of words and phrases he could use right away, and a couple of practice exercises, just for the hell of it. ^_^ As far as I know, they have yet to use that targeted course on anyone.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationBuenos Aires / AR
Native
English, Spanish

to learn more about other cultures and to travel, also speaking another language increases your chances of getting certain jobs and looks great on your resumé

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationOlongapo City / PH
Native
English, Tagalog

I think it’s not weird. It is cool rather! :) good luck to your future learnings!

Posted 
    Feedback