What according to you is the most difficult language in the world to learn and why do you think so?

Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018Location

I've hears it takes years to learn the basics of Chinese. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/7/2018LocationPhiladelphia / US
Native
English
Learning Japanese

It all depends on what your native language is. What's hard for a native English speaker might be pretty easy for a native Japanese speaker.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

devilyoudont wrote:

It all depends on what your native language is. What's hard for a native English speaker might be pretty easy for a native Japanese speaker.

I agree with you, it depends of your mother tongue. But I think that the most difficult languages are the ones with a complete different alphabet.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

Berlitz claims that you can learn everyday Mandarin Chinese in 30 days. o_o I'm not psyched up enough to try.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/7/2018LocationPhiladelphia / US
Native
English
Learning Japanese

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
I agree with you, it depends of your mother tongue. But I think that the most difficult languages are the ones with a complete different alphabet.

Honestly, the writing system is hugely challenging for me in Japanese, but it's not the most difficult aspect of the language.The reason Japanese is so much more difficult than Spanish, for me, is because Japanese shares far less vocabulary with English. And, of course, languages that use logographs are going to be the most difficult to learn to read in, but I somewhat doubt that a different alphabet creates that much difficulty for speakers of very similar languages, for example German and Yiddish. And then of course, there are learners who have no interest in learning to read, and languages that have no written form.

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

For me, a native English speaker, it was Japanese. A bit harder than Mandarin, much harder than Korean, Thai, Russian, etc.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018LocationLisbon / PT
Native
Portuguese
Other English, Spanish

I believe that all asiatic languages are hard, because if you are from any Latin Language native, it's really hard to learn everything again new.

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

mohamed.abdennadher wrote:
I think its arabic

I think it's the easiest for a native Arabic speaker.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

What you call “most difficult” could actually be someone’s easiest though.  

Posted 
    Feedback