What expectations do you have when starting to learn a new language?

Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other Arabic - Gulf, English, French, Spanish, Serbian

I was wondering, since many of us have different goals, what are your expectations of yourself when you start learning a new language. What is the pace/rhythm you take? How fast do you expect until you master the language? Do you EXPECT mastering the language anyway or... ? What do you expect and where do you find your motivation/inspiration from? 

Sometimes, some of us, place very high expectations and that is the reason why we usually quit easily and quickly. Or sometimes, we start more grounded with more realistic expectations, or no expectations whatsoever, and then we catch ourselves conquering the language pretty well and quick. In what group to do you think you belong? How passionate are you about learning and mastering a new language? 

In addition, what are the reasons for you studying a certain language, or all the languages you've chosen in general? Is it to meet certain criteria for a job, to be more qualified, or because you find it intriguing and interesting? Is it because you would like to challenge and stimulate your brain? Or is it because your parents told you so? Or because you fear not being qualified enough for your society? Or because a friend of yours or your crush speaks it? :) 

What are your expectations when starting to learn a new language, and what do they depend on? Expectations of yourself and maybe the teacher(s) too. And what are the initial reasons for starting to learn, and do they depend on what language it is and its meaning and place in your life, or not really, the reasons stay the same for every language I(you) learn? 

Thank you! 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English
What is the pace/rhythm you take? 

Baby steps for basics, I like to leave notes or post its with the name of things in other languages, so my brain get used to things in a more kind and unconscious way. During the day (not all the day) I think of what I'm doing and try to think of the verb and its conjugations in my target languages. 

What are the reasons for you studying a certain language, or all the languages you've chosen in general?

English was part of my high school education and part of my family is American so I had to learn, German is part of my heritage (looooooong lost, but still) and Italian is my new addition. My boyfriend was born in Venezuela, but his mother is Italian and his father is Moroccan. Things in our country are not looking good (since I was little things are not looking good actually) so the idea of leaving the country is increasing, he has family in Italy and I have family in the US, more likely we will end up in Italy.

Posted 
Native
Macedonian

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
What is the pace/rhythm you take?
Baby steps for basics, I like to leave notes or post its with the name of things in other languages, so my brain get used to things in a more kind and unconscious way. During the day (not all the day) I think of what I'm doing and try to think of the verb and its conjugations in my target languages.

Great! That sounds like a great technique and method

What are the reasons for you studying a certain language, or all the languages you've chosen in general?
English was part of my high school education and part of my family is American so I had to learn, German is part of my heritage (looooooong lost, but still) and Italian is my new addition. My boyfriend was born in Venezuela, but his mother is Italian and his father is Moroccan. Things in our country are not looking good (since I was little things are not looking good actually) so the idea of leaving the country is increasing, he has family in Italy and I have family in the US, more likely we will end up in Italy.

Wow, amazing! Good luck :) 

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Mai wrote:

What about you? :) 

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I just want to reach a nice comfy B2, because I know that's the lowest level where I can whip it out and use it effectively any time, provided I maintain it once every 2 weeks or so. After I get to that level, it's time to add another language. 

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Native
Macedonian

leosmith wrote:
I just want to reach a nice comfy B2, because I know that's the lowest level where I can whip it out and use it effectively any time, provided I maintain it once every 2 weeks or so. After I get to that level, it's time to add another language.

How do you know you have reached level B2, if you're having a rather informal way of studying let's say ? 

Thank you 

Posted 
Native
Macedonian

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
Mai wrote:

What about you? :)

Thank for your question! 

Well, depending on what I am focused on, I can usually start with higher or just not very objective expectations. That's why I liked your answer, and was looking for answers from you guys. However, I know that languages interest me but are not my priority now, so... 

I can also be very quick in acquiring information so I want when the teacher or person teaching me, is on that same level, where there is not really space for doubt, just acquisition and understanding. Because i can get very (self)doubtful, i also love the flow of learning, and I don't want slow, unprofessional people teaching me. That's why I can be very good at learning by myself. Why I love the internet.

I usually like it quick, but I am sometimes still struggling with organisation, so I easily lose track. Something I am willing to work on. 

Concerning why I started learning the languages I know, as English and French, well honestly, my aunt is a very good English teacher, so she was part of our upbringing and education since little, while for the French, my mother influenced me greatly, so I studied both and the craft of interpreting, which I don't really respect, since she was always mingling with her children's choices when we were little, but that's a totally different thing. Nevertheless, I fell in love with the French language after a while, but as an actress at heart, I jut fall in love with anything that changes my personality :))) or makes me imitate and learn 

So... :)) 

It did however gave me great opportunities to visit and live in France for a while, which was a great experience, and I believe everything happens for a reason, and think I've found the reason for that :) so... 

Regarding Spanish, I just love the language, have no relatives there, but few friends, in Argentina too. They are not really the reason why I am studying it, but the love for how it sounds and what it can give me. Now I am so preoccupied with how that will help me find jobs and opportunities for the things I actually love doing, so I am mostly learning languages because of that

The Arabic I love, i love the mystery of the whole nation, there are things that I don't like at all, but I like how it represents a totally different mindset, and therefore the language is constructed of different, worlds even :)) 

Sorry for the huge answer, I just didn't want to omit anything, I also like reading the full side of people's opinions too so :) 

Best to you,

Thanks

Edited 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Mai wrote:
leosmith wrote:

How do you know you have reached level B2, if you're having a rather informal way of studying let's say ?
Thank you

I know the level pretty well, even though I've never taken a test. In addition to the CEFR definition, there are B2 English tests on youtube to help me understand the level. But it's less about the B2 label than what I can do with the language. I can speak it very comfortably and usually understand almost 100% of what my partner says. TV, movies, radio, other people talking to each other are much harder, and the level I seek is over 50% understanding. Similarly with reading, which isn't as important to me I admit, I understand text messages from friends almost perfectly, but only need to understand 50% of novels and newspapers and such. My writing is easily understandable, although it might be a bit simple.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018Locationmaryland / US
Native
Urdu
Learning Arabic - Gulf

Dont give up. Do your best

Mariam Irshad

Posted 
    Feedback