Accents

Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

A neutral accent is a way of speaking a language without regionalism. It is usually used by VO actors and its purpose is to avoid people to focus on the accent and focus on the message, aiming a wider audience.

Due the size of countries, it is usual to have regional accents in the same country. In my country those are: andino, central, central-caraqueño, guaro, llanero, marabino (maracucho) y oriental. Sometimes don't you feel that it is difficult to understand people in your own country because of their accent? I do. How many regional accents does your country have? 

I looked for 2 videos from a fellow Venezuelan comparing how do Spanish (LA) and English accents do sound:

English accents: (video is in English, examples in Spanish)

English accents: (video is in Spanish w/English subtitles, examples in English)

Posted 
Posts1641Likes1094Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Haha, nice. I'm surprised she said nothing about Carribean countries that drop the s. Argentinean Spanish is the toughest for me to follow, with Venezuelan coming a distant 2nd. Colombian is the easiest, of the ones she mentioned.

In the Philippines now.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

leosmith wrote:
Haha, nice. I'm surprised she said nothing about Carribean countries that drop the s. Argentinean Spanish is the toughest for me to follow, with Venezuelan coming a distant 2nd. Colombian is the easiest, of the ones she mentioned.

Actually she compares the New Yorker accent with the Caribbean accent on the second video, she compares the "R" (NY) with the "S" (Caribbean). Argentineans have a very unique accent, but Caribbeans can speak super fast and can be a little complicated to understand them sometimes. I have to admit that we (Venezuelans) have a very loose accent, sometimes it feels like we speak like it was a nuisance.

Edited 
Posts1641Likes1094Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
Actually she compares the New Yorker accent with the Caribbean accent on the second video, she compares the "R" (NY) with the "S" (Caribbean).

oops, missed the 2nd video

In the Philippines now.

Posted 
    Feedback