Is English in the USA more straight to the point?

Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

I have noticed that at least here in the US they use so many abreviations like asap, DM, IG, DH and more. Even when I studied accounting in English and Spanish I did notice that in English everything was more simplified. Is it that the people in here is more efficient and cut right to the chase. Like when you read a communication in Spanish is usually more adorned but in English is right to the topic. Is it something cultural. What are your thoughts?

-Ari-

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I think English in general, not just in the US, is pretty direct compared to the other languages I've studied. I think Taglish deserves the title of most abbreviations in my list of languages.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other Arabic - Gulf, English, French, Spanish, Serbian

I think it might also be a reflection of the dynamic in a society, the general tempo of affairs. I didn't recognize the last three for example from the ones you mentioned, but it might also be concerned with that, like going straight to the point yes, not to waste time. But it's just a perception, and a certain collective desire for organising stuff. Southern cultures are more relaxed, so maybe that also relates to the reason why there are so many abbreviations in the English language or in the US. And English is almost a global language, so depending on the topic, it needs to contain abbreviations to deliver a message. That's my opinion. 

Edited 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Yes, everything everything goes faster in here, always in a rush. DM direct message, IG Instagram, DH dear husband lol

-Ari-

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other Arabic - Gulf, English, French, Spanish, Serbian

Hahaha hilarious 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationChicago, Illinois / US
Native
English
Other Indonesian, Spanish

I'm so curious about other abbreviation cultures! While living in Indonesia I was surprised by how much Indonesians love to combine longer words into shorter versions. Like one example is the term baper, short for bawah (bring) perasaan (feelings) and used to describe someone who's being dramatic. There are so many of these condensed phrases but I don't know if the reason is primarily efficiency.

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationBuenos Aires / AR
Native
English, Spanish

yes, in English everything is more abbreviated, they use a lot of acronyms, it saves time and once you learn them ,you use them automatically.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

I tried to write down a coherent sentence only using abbreviations: PPL IMO YOLO.

I think you are right, English is more direct. The abbreviation that comes to my mind in Spanish is not even an acronym like the ones we can read in English and it is vulgar >.<...

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018LocationLisbon / PT
Native
Portuguese
Other English, Spanish

It depends the situation. If it is written and informal it's very useful. If formal, no sense in using it. When talking, it's very useful like ASAP.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

I think the increased use of acronyms is how this generation's use of slang has manifested. We use slang words for informal settings and ease of use, and the current generation grew up on and is now defining the communication medium of text messaging. It would make sense to see text shortcuts bleed into everyday speech. For example, my wife and our immediate families grew up on chatrooms and messengers so, every now and then, one of us would say "LOL" out loud.  

But since the acronyms are basically slang, I doubt that they'd be present in any formal communication.

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationChicago, Illinois / US
Native
English
Other Indonesian, Spanish

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
I think the increased use of acronyms is how this generation's use of slang has manifested. We use slang words for informal settings and ease of use, and the current generation grew up on and is now defining the communication medium of text messaging. It would make sense to see text shortcuts bleed into everyday speech. For example, my wife and our immediate families grew up on chatrooms and messengers so, every now and then, one of us would say "LOL" out loud. :smile:
But since the acronyms are basically slang, I doubt that they'd be present in any formal communication.

I remember my own transition from using chat abbreviations like LOL ironically to using them in earnest as a useful shorthand. SO many things that I started saying as a joke have bled into my daily speech, too - IMHO, Bee Tee Dubs (for BTW), JK ...

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

SarahSchaffer wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:
I think the increased use of acronyms is how this generation's use of slang has manifested. We use slang words for informal settings and ease of use, and the current generation grew up on and is now defining the communication medium of text messaging. It would make sense to see text shortcuts bleed into everyday speech. For example, my wife and our immediate families grew up on chatrooms and messengers so, every now and then, one of us would say "LOL" out loud. :smile:

I remember my own transition from using chat abbreviations like LOL ironically to using them in earnest as a useful shorthand. SO many things that I started saying as a joke have bled into my daily speech, too - IMHO, Bee Tee Dubs (for BTW), JK ...
That *is* ironic! ^_^ On my side of the pond, we are less beeteedubs and IMHO. Coolness.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018Locationlahore / PK

Life is too fast, bulk of tasks and shortage of time. Precision, less labor and higher efficiency are perhaps the intentions to opt contractions.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

I think so. And they pronounce their words very clear.

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018Locationmaryland / US
Native
Urdu
Learning Arabic - Gulf

it depends if you are texting than its more abbreviated , if you are talking than its not.

Mariam Irshad

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationBuenos Aires / AR
Native
English, Spanish

most of my students prefer American English

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018Locationlahore / PK

yes very right GonzaloA

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I think the evolution of the world made the american english be more direct.

Everything is fast paced and no one has time for BS, so that's why the Americans seem to use more direct approach....according to me of course :D 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
English, Tagalog
Other French, Spanish

American English, as I tell my students, is direct. Direct in a way that it's conversational English. Grammar is not really follow, as long as you can convey your thoughts, then it's direct.

Aleks

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018Locationmaryland / US
Native
Urdu
Learning Arabic - Gulf

Yes less complex than. British English 

Mariam Irshad

Posted 
    Feedback