Things You MUST Know For Better Conversation In Any Language

Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

In this 10-minute video, veteran journalist, radio talk show host and experienced interviewer Celeste Headlee talks about the ten most important things you need to have better conversations with anyone, anywhere in the world.

10 Ways to Have a Better Conversation

My favorite is number 2. "Everyone is an expert in something" so always assume that there is something you can learn from the person you are talking to.  

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined22/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

Nice but it's definitely hard work to expect to learn from every you come in contact with.

If I was to choose being an animal, I will like to be an Eagle.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other Arabic - Gulf, English, French, Spanish, Serbian

Great talk, thanks! I agree with all, and she's using great quotations

:) Thanks!

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
In this 10-minute video, veteran journalist, radio talk show host and experienced interviewer Celeste Headlee talks about the ten most important things you need to have better conversations with anyone, anywhere in the world.
10 Ways to Have a Better Conversation

My favorite is number 2. "Everyone is an expert in something" so always assume that there is something you can learn from the person you are talking to. :thinking_face:

Excellent video. I knew she was into mindful meditation before she mentioned Buddha; several of her points came from that line of thought. It amazes me how many journalists/announcer types do that. 

While this is good advice about getting better at conversation in general, I wouldn't necessarily follow it as a language learner until I reached a high level. Some of my favorite tricks involve steering people down my more familiar paths, and trying to keep things simple which is contrary to some of what she mentions. I posted what I think is more useful advice for improving foreign language conversation here.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018Locationlahore / PK

Thank you so much :)

Posted 
    Feedback