Silent movies

Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Do you think they are a good tool to learn/teach a language? Even when they don't have audio, you can use them to force yourself to write the script, storyline or describe things in the language you are learning. 

I found this idea not so long ago and I've not being able to give it a try... What do you think?

http://kierandonaghy.com/seven-best-silent-short-films-language-teaching/

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other Arabic - Gulf, English, French, Spanish, Serbian

Wow, amazing! Never thought of this. The first thought was, What is this girl talking about, then I read what you wrote and the article itself and sounds pretty cool, and useful too! I agree totally, on the fact that no matter whatever level you are at, you can participate and actually write down potential dialogues with the level your are actually at! So cool, and entertaining too. Can be really fun for students. 

Bravo for the post! Love it 

Posted 
Posts114Likes81Joined8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

Interesting. It actually makes a lot of sense if you think about it, you get cues on what the context is about by looking at the gestures and you fill in the blanks with the language. That's a great idea Jess!

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

If any of you try this method, please bring feedback!! I feel like I have to learn more vocabulary in my target languages before I try.

Edited 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

First, it's an excellent method that really pushes you to recall vocabulary and grammar, and forces you to learn lot's of potential useful stuff.

That being said, I don't prefer to use it. With my language learning method, I go after the low hanging fruit, meaning the stuff I use or want to use all the time in real conversation. My goal is upper B2, and at that level I can get plenty of stuff from my 100% native 1 hr conversations that I have with tutors to fill up my study time. In fact, if I'm consistently getting a handful of words or less, that's when I know I've reached my goal and can start another language. 

If you're at C1/C2, then this method becomes is more efficient imo. 

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/10/2018LocationManila / PH
Other English, Japanese, Korean

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
Do you think they are a good tool to learn/teach a language? Even when they don't have audio, you can use them to force yourself to write the script, storyline or describe things in the language you are learning.
I found this idea not so long ago and I've not being able to give it a try... What do you think?
http://kierandonaghy.com/seven-best-silent-short-films-language-teaching/

Oh, thanks for the list I'm gonna watch it all! I've watched one silent film.. 3 Iron/ Binjip. I loved it! 

mismei

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/10/2018LocationManila / PH
Other English, Japanese, Korean

the lesson plan also looks fun and interesting. hmmm.. 

mismei

Posted 
    Feedback