Question about the usage of a and an

Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Usually the way to know how to use "a" or "an", is by looking at the first letter of the word that comes after "a" or "an". If the first letter of the word is a vowel, then we use "an". If the first letter is a consonant, then we use "a", but why do we say "an hour" instead of "a hour"? or "a union" instead of "an union"? or "an honest" instead of "a honest"? Can someone please enlighten me. :sweat_smile:

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

There are some exceptions based on the sounds. I found this from wikipedia.

Understand that there are some exceptions to this rule. Some words may be spelled beginning with vowels but be pronounced with initial consonant sounds. Words that begin in h, y, u, and eu or "e" are common words that can cause confusion.

Use "A" when u makes the same sound as the y in you: a union, a unicorn, a used napkin, a usability study.

Use "A" when o makes the same sound as w in won: a one-legged man.

Use "A" when eu or "e" makes the same sound as y: a European trip, a ewe lamb

Do not use "A" when the h is silent.

Here is the link.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.wikihow.com/Use-"A"-and-"An"-Correctly%3famp=1

-Ari-

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Ari wrote:

Understand that there are some exceptions to this rule. Some words may be spelled beginning with vowels but be pronounced with initial consonant sounds. Words that begin in h, y, u, and eu or "e" are common words that can cause confusion.
Use "A" when u makes the same sound as the y in you: a union, a unicorn, a used napkin, a usability study.
Here is the link.

Thank you for the post! 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

For me, the easiest way to avoid confusion is to read the word and determine if it produces a consonant or vowel sound. Vowel sound - an; Consonant sound -a. :)

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

The above is all correct Nd pretty much sums it up , the reasoning is it is just harder to say otherwise, I think it comes from early vowels from the Arabic alphabet if you say a apple a elephant instead of using an it almost sounds like there are glottal stops in there we'll you almost have to put them in which in an earlier language form would maybe have confused it into a different word.... I have nothing to back this up I just have the opinion

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Aside from the rule about the vowel and consonant beginnings, I agree on the point that the exceptions may be based on the "harder to pronounce when used otherwise" and it's as if your tongue is twisted when you say it. If there is the so-called "eye sore", I think there is also an "ear sore". That happens when you pronounce a combination of words and the sound of it is not very pleasing to the ears like for example "an banana" and "a apple".

Just my opinion here. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edzky-18

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Ari wrote:

Here is the link.

omg thank you! very helpful :blush:

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Rose.Angelie wrote:

For me, the easiest way to avoid confusion is to read the word and determine if it produces a consonant or vowel sound. Vowel sound - an; Consonant sound -a. :)

sounds great. thank you :blush:

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Jade.Xuereb wrote:

The above is all correct Nd pretty much sums it up , the reasoning is it is just harder to say otherwise, I think it comes from early vowels from the Arabic alphabet if you say a apple a elephant instead of using an it almost sounds like there are glottal stops in there we'll you almost have to put them in which in an earlier language form would maybe have confused it into a different word.... I have nothing to back this up I just have the opinion

Thank you for your opinion :blush:

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018Location
Native
Tagalog
Other English, German, Spanish

An strawberry or a strawberry?  

Posted 
Native
Tagalog