How understanding are you of foreigners' difficulties?

Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

Considering formal communication situations, such as business conversations, or academic ones, do you judge your counterpart by their poor language? Do you think you take it into account to make up your mind, for example? Do you get less patient, or less respectful?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined20/9/2019LocationAdelaide / AU
Native
Japanese
Learning English

That's an interesting question! For example, in my native language, Japanese, we pay attention to our language style especially in a business situation. We only use polite language so-called 'Keigo' in Japanese. We talk to customers/clients in Kigo let alone to our colleagues and bosses. Every person working at Japanese companies is required to master and use polite language all the time because it's important way to make the business go smoothly. This is because Japanese society put value on respecting those who are in the higher position. For this reason, if one meets those who cannot speak in a polite way especially in a business situation, he/she will regard them as un-educated, rude people. To avoide this situation, we are encouraged to master how to use polite language properly before starting to work in a real working environment. 

Yuka.C

Edited 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Valeria.Fontes wrote:
Considering formal communication situations, such as business conversations, or academic ones, do you judge your counterpart by their poor language? Do you think you take it into account to make up your mind, for example? Do you get less patient, or less respectful?

In formal situations I make due with whatever level they have. In informal situations, if I'm closer to that person, I might suggest better language if they make a big mistake or something. I don't want to crush anyone's enthusiasm though.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

Yuka wrote:
That's an interesting question! For example, in my native language, Japanese, we pay attention to our language style especially in a business situation. We only use polite language so-called 'Keigo' in Japanese. We talk to customers/clients in Kigo let alone to our colleagues and bosses. Every person working at Japanese companies is required to master and use polite language all the time because it's important way to make the business go smoothly. This is because Japanese society put value on respecting those who are in the higher position. For this reason, if one meets those who cannot speak in a polite way especially in a business situation, he/she will regard them as un-educated, rude people. To avoide this situation, we are encouraged to master how to use polite language properly before starting to work in a real working environment.

I teach businessmen in Brazil and it's often said they should speak English perfectly to be really respected abroad, just like nobody gives attention to someone who speaks poor Portuguese, at least in formal situations. To tell you the thruth, here we are very patient with foreigners' language difficulties, but we tend to be very prejudiced with our own people, language being a clear social mark.

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Valeria.Fontes wrote:
it's often said they should speak English perfectly to be really respected abroad, just like nobody gives attention to someone who speaks poor Portuguese, at least in formal situations

Maybe in sales or employment situations. It would be very strange to kill an existing business deal because of poor language skills, for example.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
    Feedback