My Swahili Log (Youtube Channel)

Posts8Likes11Joined21/4/2020LocationGB
Native
Arabic - Standard, Arabic - other, English
Learning Hindi, Spanish, Swahili

Hello Everyone, just wanted to share my new Youtube channel where I discuss how I am learning Swahili with different resources including language tools; thought you might be interested.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdmpB_utj_rpt9jcdcnMMKQ 

Thanks.

خليفة

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Great videos Ali! I was very impressed with your Spanish level after 3 months. Of course I liked what you had to say about Swahili too. I "relearned" Swahili for 3 months around the beginning of the year. I did some lessons in Teach Yourself and Foundation but found myself coming back to Simplified Swahili again and again. It's the best grammar resource imo. 

I realize you're not asking for recommendations here, but you might want to give one of our Swahili Conversations a try. They are intermediate but quite comprehensible according to several users. Imo they are more interesting and realistic than the short lessons I've seen.

Bahati njema  

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Edited 
Native

Hello Leosmith. Thanks for your reply! I have simplified Swahili in my list and was planning to use teach yourself after language transfer (favourite starting course) but maybe ill switch it; I'll see. 

And I have definitely seen the excellent conversations on there, I'm just saving them until I finish my 'A1-A2' content (the way I organised all of the content I could find online for Swahili). 

Thanks!

خليفة

Posted 
Native

To anyone who is interested, I recently uploaded my second video (weeks 5 - 8) of my Swahili journey! Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH01isiTY3A&t=31s 

خليفة

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Nice video! Did you know that you can use the youtube button on the menu to embed them?

I just watched part of it, but regarding pronunciation, the stress is always on the 2nd to last vowel in Swahili. Sometimes people will stylize words by putting stress elsewhere (like TanzAnia), but it's pretty rare. And for ki/vi nouns, singular/plural prefixes are either ki/vi or cha/vya, depending on the roots.

Edited 
Native

Thank you! Right yes I've noted that about the Pronunciation. Yes, so if the roots have a vowel after the ki becomes a cha and the vi becomes a vya so it becomes easier to pronounce I think. Thx

خليفة

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

ki/vi go with roots that start with a consonant or i.

Posted 
Native

Oh right OK, thanks! 

خليفة

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2020LocationGB
Native
English
Learning Swahili

Hujambo.

Ninajaribu kujifunza kiswahili pia. Asante kwa kutia masomo haya. Nimefurahi kupata yao. Sasa nimefika somo la sita pia. Asante sana tena. Nimetumia "Colloquial Swahili", unaweza kupata mazungumzo yao juu ya mtandao kwa bure.

Posted 
Native

Sijambo,

Ninafuraha sana kwa sababu unajifunza Kiswahili pia. Thats all the swahili youll get from me for now! Thank you so much for telling me I can find colloquial's dialogues online as with swahili the more content with audio and transcripts the better. It's really nice to know someone else is learning swahili as well. One of the reasons I started my diary was because there wasn't much talk about it online. Happy learning! 

خليفة

Posted 
Native

Hello Everyone!

I just Uploaded my 3rd Video of my Swahili Journey for those interested.

Thanks!

خليفة

Posted 
    Feedback