Prejudice against Accents

Posts495Likes298Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Where I live the dialect is very different, the official dialect of Spanish is Castillano but the people do not speak it. Thye drop several consonants and the rest of Spain say they 'come la idioma' or eat the language, I suppose swallow the language would be more appropriate as a translation though!

Posted 
Posts49Likes34Joined24/3/2021LocationManila / PH
Native
English
Learning Spanish

That's interesting. In the Philippines, our official language is Filipino which is based in Tagalog but it is not spoken by the major population.

Faye

Posted 
Posts20Likes16Joined23/3/2021LocationDavao / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish

Faye.Vitan wrote:
That's interesting. In the Philippines, our official language is Filipino which is based in Tagalog but it is not spoken by the major population.

True. Tagalog is a local dialect of the Filipinos mostly living in the north part of the country and it has been used in official settings and other academic-related activities. In areas like Visayas and Mindanao, people can speak Tagalog but speakers produce a dialectal accent. Here in my city, we have the term " Davao Conyo" when people speak in TagLish ( Tagalog + English) and added with a few Bisaya words. : P

- By small and simple things are great things brought to pass! 

Posted 
Posts1312Likes887Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning Tagalog
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Thai

july.lullalove wrote:
Here in my city, we have the term "Davao Conyo"

I always feel bad using the word conyo because it's a naughty word in Spanish. Isn't it derogatory in Tagalog?

I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Posted 
    Feedback