Prejudice against Accents

Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Where I live the dialect is very different, the official dialect of Spanish is Castillano but the people do not speak it. Thye drop several consonants and the rest of Spain say they 'come la idioma' or eat the language, I suppose swallow the language would be more appropriate as a translation though!

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined24/3/2021LocationManila / PH
Native
English
Learning Spanish

That's interesting. In the Philippines, our official language is Filipino which is based in Tagalog but it is not spoken by the major population.

Faye

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined23/3/2021LocationDavao / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish

Faye.Vitan wrote:
That's interesting. In the Philippines, our official language is Filipino which is based in Tagalog but it is not spoken by the major population.

True. Tagalog is a local dialect of the Filipinos mostly living in the north part of the country and it has been used in official settings and other academic-related activities. In areas like Visayas and Mindanao, people can speak Tagalog but speakers produce a dialectal accent. Here in my city, we have the term " Davao Conyo" when people speak in TagLish ( Tagalog + English) and added with a few Bisaya words. : P

- By small and simple things are great things brought to pass! 

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

july.lullalove wrote:
Here in my city, we have the term "Davao Conyo"

I always feel bad using the word conyo because it's a naughty word in Spanish. Isn't it derogatory in Tagalog?

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined24/3/2021LocationManila / PH
Native
English
Learning Spanish

I looked up the work conyo and you're right it's not a word to use in public conversations. 

In tagalog, conyo isn't exactly derogatory but it has implications of social climbing. 

Faye

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

Faye.Vitan wrote:
Valeria.Fontes wrote:
In Brazil people with northeast accent are mistreated and made fun of when they come to the South. We regard them as vulgar and non-educated, although they have a really rich culture up there.
That sounds a bit sad. Is the northeast part of Brazil, rural?
Yes, it's sad and it doesn't change, despite being illogical. The northeast part of Brazil is not totally rural, they have major capitals, but the folk image of it is linked with underdevelopment and poverty.

Edited 
Native
Tagalog

leosmith wrote:
july.lullalove wrote:
Here in my city, we have the term "Davao Conyo"

I always feel bad using the word conyo because it's a naughty word in Spanish. Isn't it derogatory in Tagalog?

Well, if you haven't shared about how the word conyo means naughty in Spanish, I wouldn't know, But I don't think conyo is derogatory in Tagalog, unless you are making fun of how a person speaks a language in a "broken" way. 

I somehow think a person with a conyo accent is cute and one of the indicators that they are non-native speakers of a language so they should be given consideration. Lastly, most of the conyo speakers are considered rich kids. :P

https://theculturetrip.com/asia/philippines/articles/conyo-the-philippine-language-that-defined-a-social-class/

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

[/quote] Yes, it's sad and it doesn't change, despite being illogical. The northeast part of Brazil is not totally rural, they have major capitals, but the folk image of it is linked with underdevelopment and poverty.
[/quote]

That is similar to us here, except that it's the other way around. Sad. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

It is odd because in the part of Spain that I live in every 10th word of a sentence is conyo with friends they use it very cordially, but when I arrived knowing its literal translation I found it difficult to know that people weren't being offensive!

Posted 
    Feedback