What was your silliest fear in learning your target language? And what have you realized after some time of learning?

Posts0Likes0Joined23/3/2021LocationDavao / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish

My silliest fear is the embarrassment that I might feel if I mispronounced a word or I might end up getting a wrong idea when a native speaker speaks to me in idiomatic expression, worst, I might give an incorrect response.

However, that changed when most of the native speakers I have dealt with told me that my English is good and that I just need to continue working on the challenges I might have while learning.

- By small and simple things are great things brought to pass! 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

I think everyone goes through that and that a big percentage of taking some basic language learning to the next level is to get over the fear and embarrassment and just allow yourself to make mistakes you will either be encouraged and feel free to try it out more comfortably or corrected and either way you grow as a learner and improve over time

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I think most people (myself included) have had fear of embarrassment at some point in their language learning. I have also had fear of not being able to reach a level where I can comfortably speak my L2. I don't get that feeling very often anymore, fortunately.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined23/3/2021LocationDavao / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish

I agree with both of you!

- By small and simple things are great things brought to pass! 

Posted 
    Feedback